× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Do I have the WC7600v1 or WC7600v2 ??

danpool
Aspirant

Do I have the WC7600v1 or WC7600v2 ??

Hey,

We have 10 WNDAP660 Access Points connected to one WC7600 controller.

Unfortunately, the conection cuts out for half a second every 5 minutes (noticable only when streaming). This is ridiculous for such an expensive set up, but anyway, I won't get into that.

I was hoping a firware update may have fixed the problem, so I went to update, but the website has these two:

One for the v1 and one for the v2

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WC7600/WC7600_FW%20V6.5.1.2.zip

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WC7600v2/WC7600V2-FW V6.5.1.2.zip

Our controller doesn't mention whether it's v1 or v2 anywhere..so I wasn't sure which one to install.

Also, if you know of how to fix the connection dropouts without updating, that would be great also.

Thank you!

Model: WNDAP660|ProSafe 3x3 Dual Radio| Dual Band Wireless-N Access Point
Message 1 of 25

Accepted Solutions
LaxmankumarG
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Connection dropouts

Hi,

I had gone through the logs, and figured that the issue could be because of the AMPDU, is it ok to disable AMPDU and observe the behavior. Disabling the AMPDU will decrease the over all througput of the AP, but it will improve the reliability. If possible make this change and observe the network.

View solution in original post

Message 21 of 25

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Do I have the WC7600v1 or WC7600v2 ??

Hi danpool,

Kindly send the serial number of your WC7600 via private message so I could check it for you if its a v1 or v2.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 25
danpool
Aspirant

Thanks, I sent it to you.

Due you think a firmware update is likely to fix connection dropouts?

Or have I configured it wrong...?

I guess you can't answer that last quesion. I'm just thinking you may have had other customers report intermitent dropouts when streaming music/video and that it may be a config issue..

Cheers

Message 3 of 25
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@danpool,

The WC7600 you have is a v1.  It would be best if you register it under your MyNETGEAR account.  

About your concern wherein the wireless connection cuts out for half a second every 5 minutes when streaming, kindly answer the questions below:

a. Is everything working fine before? 

b. Are there any recent changes done in the settings of the WC7600 or within the network setup?

c. Are there any other wireless networks that are present where the WNDAP660 are deployed?

d. Does the problem occurs on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz band?

e. How are the WNDAP660 mounted?  Is it mounted on the ceiling or on sidewalls?

f. Have you tried changing the wireless channel?

Upgrading the firmware to v6.5.1.2 might help.  Be reminded that your WC7600 should be on firmware v5.0.0.x or v5.1.0.x or v5.5.x.x before you proceed on upgrading to v6.5.1.2 as indicated on the Upgrade Matrix here.  

Let us know your observations after upgrading the firmware.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 25
danpool
Aspirant

Thanks for that!

I'm just trying to find the reciept so I can register it.

A) The micro dropouts have allways been present

B) None, no

C) There are, but this wasn't a  problem when we were using Apple Airports, or when using our old Netgear Routers (which is why I think this is a Controller issue)

D) It does

E) Sidewalls

F) Below is what they are on (a combination)...

Valid corporate channes 

2.4 Ghz     6     11  

5 Ghz 36  40  44  48             

Ahh, I don't think I can upgrade then.. I'm on v4.0.0.33:

Boot Information
Active PartitionPartition 1 (Firmware version: 4.0.0.33)
Boot Partition to Upgrade
 Partition 1 Partition 2
After upgrade boot from
 Partition 1 Partition 2
Message 5 of 25
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@danpool,

The firmware v4.0.0.33 is the initial release firmware for the WC7600v1.  I suggest that you upgrade the firmware in a ladderized version.  For example, upgrade the firmware from v4.0.0.33 to v4.1.0.13.  Then, from v4.1.0.13 to v5.0.0.26 and so on until you reach the latest firmware version which is v6.5.1.2.  Be reminded to perform a factory reset on the WC7600v1 after upgrading the firmware to the latest version to have a clean start using the new firmware then reconfigure it from scratch.

Let us know the results.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 25
danpool
Aspirant

Ok, will do. Thanks

Message 7 of 25
danpool
Aspirant

Upgrade complete. I'm now on: 6.5.1.2

I'll let you know how it goes...

Message 8 of 25
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@danpool,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Does the wireless connection still gets cut out for half a second every 5 minutes after you have upgraded the firmware of the WC7600v1?  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 25
danpool
Aspirant

Hey,

Yes, it seems miles better. It did cut out once last week, but this is a huge improvement. The micro dropouts seem to have stopped.

Thanks!

Message 10 of 25
danpool
Aspirant

...well to be more accurate, they happen less often now. I've noticed twice today. Off and then On (in the space of 1 second). It's just enough to interupt anything you may be streaming.

Message 11 of 25
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@danpool,

Kindly try to disable the WMM Powersave.  Here are the steps:

1. On the web-GUI of the WC7600v1, go to Configuration > Profile > Basic > Radio.

2. Click on the 802.11b/bg/ng tab then click on the corresponding VLAN profile.  Under the Wireless QoS settings, click disable on the WMM Powersave then click Apply.

3. This time, click on the 802.11a/na/ac tab then click on the corresponding VLAN profile.  Under the Wireless QoS settings, click disable on the WMM Powersave then click Apply.

4. Observe the wireless connection.

Let us know the results.

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 12 of 25
danpool
Aspirant

ahh yes, I saw this mentioned in another thread, but had yet to try it. Thanks for still helping me out.

I've made that change now. It didn't seem to have much effect, the dropouts are still happening unfortunately.

It's not a deal breaker as we rely on a wired connection for most uses, it's just not ideal, that's all. I do think it is a controller issue though, seeing as the access points are fine on their own and the firmware update did make a slight improvement.

Message 13 of 25
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@danpool,

I am glad to know that there is  a slight improvement after the firmware update.  If ever you have no further concerns, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution.

The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 14 of 25
LaxmankumarG
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Danpool,

It is good to hear that there is a slight improvement after the firmware update, even though you have accepted it as a solution, can you provide the following information so that this sulution can be used by other customers.

The reported problem is  the conection cuts out for half a second every 5 minutes (noticable only when streaming), after the firmware update to 6.5.1.2 did you see this issue happening?. if yes we would like to help you to fix it completely. In your previous post you said that there is a slight improvement in the network after update to 6.5.1.2, can you quantify what do you mean by slight improvement?

Can you share the video streaming application which you are using in your environment, so that we will try to recreate this issue in our lab and try fixing the issue?

We are happy to work with you to fix all the issues, and make your network better. 

Message 15 of 25
danpool
Aspirant

Hey,

Well this is what we have set up:

1. Router from ISP going into NETGEAR ProSafe 8 (GS108) Gigabit Switch
  2. Gigabit Switch going into a virtual machine with Smoothwall v3.1 installed
  3. Smoothwall v3.1 into a VLAN on an HP ProCurve Core Switch
  4. The WC7600 in plugged into that same VLAN along with all the WNDAP660 Access Points

The WC7600 is on Firmware version: 6.5.1.2

I'm experiencing micro dropouts every 10 mins or so on my Android phone - YouTube, Spotify etc. The Sonos speakers on the WiFi would cut out too.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Message 16 of 25
LaxmankumarG
NETGEAR Expert

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the network information, i really appreciate your quick response. When you experience the micro dropouts every 10 mins, how many clients you have connected to the AP. Does it happen with a single android phone, or you need to connect multiple phones or devices. In youtube does it start buffering and restart playing the video automatically or does the video gets stuck permanently?. Are you obseving this behavior in 2.4Ghz radio, or in 5Ghz radio also?. Do you have syslog server installed in your network?. if yes can you share the syslogs. It will be great and we can quicky root cause the issue if you can provide the following information.

1. AP logs.

2. Controller logs.

3. Syslogs.

4. Wireless packet captures at the time of issue.

1, 2 you can get it from the controller itself. 

Message 17 of 25
danpool
Aspirant

Hey,

We don't have syslog server, but I can provide you with the other information in a private message.

(It will happen even if only one phone is connected - turning off WMM powersave didn't have any effect)

If the video had buffered you would notice it. I only notice on apps that don't buffer the content, or if I skip foerward in an app which does (such as YouTube)

So I might be playing a video and then I'll skip ahead 5mins - the connection will then dissapear (wifi symbol at top of phone) and then reapear and reconnect.

Sending you the PM now..

Message 18 of 25
danpool
Aspirant

Wow this post is interesting!

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Business-Wireless/WNDAP660-Connectivity-Issues/m-p/1194274#U1194274

We're probably just affected by that! Can't wait for the new firmware in April (as the solution in that thread mentions)  😉

Message 19 of 25
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@danpool,

It will be posted soon on the WNDAP660 Firmware and Software Downloads page here.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 20 of 25
LaxmankumarG
NETGEAR Expert

Hi,

I had gone through the logs, and figured that the issue could be because of the AMPDU, is it ok to disable AMPDU and observe the behavior. Disabling the AMPDU will decrease the over all througput of the AP, but it will improve the reliability. If possible make this change and observe the network.

Message 21 of 25
danpool
Aspirant

Cheers dude.

I've disabled that. I'll let you know how it goes 🙂

Message 22 of 25
danpool
Aspirant

I think you've done it!

Works well now.

Thank you 🙂

Message 23 of 25
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@danpool

Since your concern has been resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 24 of 25
danpool
Aspirant

No worries, I've marked it.

Message 25 of 25
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 2 kudos