× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Does the WAC505 support 802.11d outside of USA?

bbriner
Aspirant

Does the WAC505 support 802.11d outside of USA?

Does the WAC505 support 802.11d (country information in the beacon) for units sold outside of the USA?

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Does the WAC505 support 802.11d outside of USA?

Hi @bbriner

Yes, WAC505 broadcast 802.11d by default . 

Thanks,

Raghu

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @bbriner,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Kindly read pages 98-99 of the WAC505 user manual here about Change the Country or Region of Operation.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 7
bbriner
Aspirant

Thank you for the answer but the manual does not mention if the WR505 broadcasts the country information in the beacon (802.11d).

The issue is that my MacBook Pro finds a wifi in the neighborhood with "China" and adjusts itself to the chinese channels. The only way I found to overcome the problem is to put my R7000 running Tomato to broadcast my correct region. As the R7000 is stronger than my the one broadcasting "China" my MacBook Pro adjusts itself correctly.

Can you please clarify if the WR505 broadcasts or has the option to broadcast the country information ?

Message 3 of 7
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @bbriner,

Few questions to understand your issue.

1. Are you seeing becons of WAC505 wrongly sending country code?

2. WAC505 is your AP or neighbour's AP which you do not have access?

3. What is your region? China?

Thanks,

Raghu

Message 4 of 7
bbriner
Aspirant

Hi @RaghuHR

1) I don't know if the beacons I see come from a WAC505.

2) I don't have a WAC505. I am currently looking for an AP only to replace my 02 R7000 I currently run as AP in combination with my pfSense.

3) I am in Europe.

To clarify, the bogus AP broadcasting the wrong region "China" is not mine, it comes from the neighborhood and it is pretty strong, I would not be chocked if it is coming from an external directional antenna somehow, even its MAC Address was changed (its vendor is Rolls Royce Smiley Surprised). 

If I set my R7000 to not broadcast the country using 802.11d, my MacBook Pro listens to this bogus beacon and adjusts itself to China and I then loose 5Ghz connectivity with my R7000's.

If I set my R7000 to broadcast the country using 802.11d, my R7000 are the strongest signals, so my MacBook Pro picks up the correct information and everything goes as it should.

So before I purchase a WAC505 I need to know 802.11d is broadcasted by default or it can be switched on.

Message 5 of 7
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @bbriner

Yes, WAC505 broadcast 802.11d by default . 

Thanks,

Raghu

Message 6 of 7
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @bbriner,

Hope your query is addressed. 

If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Thanks,

Raghu

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements