× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Ethernet cat6 connection issues

MT9876
Follower

Ethernet cat6 connection issues

I have just purchased a NETGEAR WAX204 wireless router to extend my Wi-Fi to cover all parts of my property.
I have installed a cat6 cable from my router to my garage a total length of 70meters. As some of it is external I used external cable for complete run.
Set up the router with a short lead into back of my existing and changed it to AP only. All worked ok.
Then took it down to the garage plugged it into the cable all good apart from amber light on the internet and no connection. Thought it may be a fault in cable but tested all 8 cables are good.
Took my laptop out plugged it into Ethernet cable with Wi-Fi turned off and connected to web no problem. Took the NETGEAR back inside plugged it into my exiting router and all worked.
I am at a complete loss please help
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Ethernet cat6 connection issues

Some devices are more sensitive to the cables being sketchy versus others. It might be why the laptop works but not the AP. 

Message 2 of 4
snipperloue
Aspirant

Absolutely great contribution, thank you! A wealth of insightful information as well as inspiration

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@MT9876 wrote:
I have installed a cat6 cable from my router to my garage a total length of 70meters. As some of it is external I used external cable for complete run.  Then took it down to the garage plugged it into the cable all good apart from amber light on the internet and no connection. Thought it may be a fault in cable but tested all 8 cables are good.

Ethernet links not coming up are caused by incorrect pairs in the installation of the cable, or pairs mixed up. Just eight copper strands wired can be not enough.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements