× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: FVS318N; FVS318Gv2 Firmware 4.3.3-8

shiekh
Guide

FVS318N; FVS318Gv2 Firmware 4.3.3-8

Firmware 4.3.3-8 was just released for the FVS318N and FVS318Gv2 (I have both)

* The FVS318N works for 5 mins only (this has not changed from 4.3.3-6)

* The FVS318Gv2 finds 4.3.3-8 invalid or corrupt

It took about 9 months between 4.3.3-6 and 4.3.3-8 and little seems to be fixed.

My FVS318v1 and FVS336Gv2 have other issues that make them unusable, so I am using a ZyXEL VFG6005N without any issues.

I normally consider myself somewhat patient, but with all 4 Netgear firewalls not serving their intended purpose, I'm finding myself a little at a loss.

Message 1 of 26

Accepted Solutions
i3at
Initiate

i got the same error message on fvs318gv2 but i was able to upgrade via tftp and telnet.

util firmware_upgrade <filename> <tftp server>

but i think this is not the recommended way!?

edit: i don't know if any of my problems are fixed now?! (freezes, not responding, ...)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 26

All Replies
i3at
Initiate

i got the same error message on fvs318gv2 but i was able to upgrade via tftp and telnet.

util firmware_upgrade <filename> <tftp server>

but i think this is not the recommended way!?

edit: i don't know if any of my problems are fixed now?! (freezes, not responding, ...)

Message 2 of 26
shiekh
Guide

Magnificent and much appreciated; that allowed the upgrade to 4.3.3-8 and from there the web interface upgrade now works again (no corrupt or invalid message). That said the unit still does not work for me, but it is good to have been able to manage the update.

Message 3 of 26
shiekh
Guide

What is really weird is that my old

FVS336Gv2 works great on firmware 4.3.3-6

yes, I know, I have far too many firewalls; makes me wonder if the code is good but the compilers not...

Message 4 of 26
rickgode
Aspirant

UHG... Please help... I was hoping that this 4.3.3-8 Firmware would help keep my FVS318Gv2 from "Hanging" see this post.  But it looks like 4.3.3-6 doesn't allow updating the firmware from the web, see same post.  They said maybe try reloading the firmware, but it always said "the file was invalid or corrupted" even when I tried to reload 4.3.3-6 (my current firmware)

Fast forward to today when I saw that the firmware had been updated to 4.3.3-8.  I was excited, but like the OP it said that the "Firmware file is invalid or corrupted"

I came across this thread and solution, so I downloaded Solarwinds TFTP server and put the FVS318Gv2_v4.3.3-8.img in the TFTP's root folder, then I fired up Putty so I could telnet into the router.  Everything looked fine, easy peasy...

Below is what it sort of looked like... I took the text from this post (I realize that it says v4.3.3-6.img, but in putty everything looked pretty much exactly like this, but it wouldn't finish the rest of it.  Putty would crash and the window would disappear.)  

FVS318Gv2> util firmware_upgrade FVS318Gv2_v4.3.3-6.img 192.168.1.4 
FVS318Gv2_v4.3.3-6.i 100% |*************************************************| 26224k --:--:-- ETA 
chmod: /mnt/tmpfs/tr69Instance.map: No such file or directory 
Start upgrade ... 
/var/image/FVS318Gv2_v4.3.3-6.img length is 0x199c000(26853376) 
filename : ASL firmware 
filelen : 0x199bf00 
filecrc : 0x19d79729 
file version : 4.3.3-6 
kernel offset : 0x100 
kernel size : 0x7c2272 
fs offset : 0x8fff00 
fs size : 0x109c000

I tried a couple more times, then switched computers and each time Putty would crash, but each time I was able to login via the web, until the last attempt... Now I believe I've bricked the router...  The test light just stays on and no matter how long I press the reset button on the back, nothing changes...

My FVS336Gv2 works great on firmware 4.3.3-6 too. In fact, it's the only reason I have internet at home now... It just doesn't have the WAN throughput that I need.

Please advise.

Ricky

Message 5 of 26
shiekh
Guide

While it does not help you, I did my tftp from a Mac, even though my main machine is now a PC; I think you will need to send it back on lifetime warrentee.

It is hard to belive that issuing such firmware does not tarnish the reputation of Netgear, and I now use a ZyXEL VFG6005N firewall while waiting for Netgear to offer a workable version.

I figured out that booting the unit with just the WAN connected and then connecting the rest later would result in things working indefinitely, but I need a solution that can recover itself from a power cut.

Message 6 of 26
shiekh
Guide

https://community.netgear.com/t5/VPN-Firewalls/FVS318Gv2-WAN-to-LAN-throughput/td-p/1020400/page/3

gives more detail on the output, but by running blind I imagine you may not have given it enough time to complete;

however none of this is very useful at this point.

FVS318Gv2> util firmware_upgrade FVS318Gv2_v4.3.3-6.img 192.168.1.4
FVS318Gv2_v4.3.3-6.i 100% |*************************************************​| 26224k --:--:-- ETA

chmod: /mnt/tmpfs/tr69Instance.map: No such file or directory
Start upgrade ...
/var/image/FVS318Gv2_v4.3.3-6.img length is 0x199c000(26853376)
filename : ASL firmware
filelen : 0x199bf00
filecrc : 0x19d79729
file version : 4.3.3-6
kernel offset : 0x100
kernel size : 0x7c2272
fs offset : 0x8fff00
fs size : 0x109c000
calculate crc is : 0x19d79729
crc check PASS
Writing File System to Flash ...
Done.
Writing Kernel to Flash ...
Done.
>Firmware Version Updated

Message 7 of 26
rickgode
Aspirant

Thank you.  I came across that post yesterday too.  

I have to tip my hat to Netgear Support.  The test light just stays on, so I called the number and they will be sending me one this week.  Good thing I kept my old FVS336Gv2 or my household would have revolted!

Ricky

Message 8 of 26
shiekh
Guide

It actually works for you? Tell me the magic; for me it works for 5 mins and then just stops... so my FVS318N abd FVS318Gv2 just sit awaiting the next firmware in the hope that will fix the issue. 4.3.3-8 was more challenging than usual to install (as you found out), but even then the units went back into storage as it did not fix the 5 min issue.

Message 9 of 26
rickgode
Aspirant

The one that is working for me is the FVS336... It's older and the wan throughput is only 30mbps, that's why I purchased the FVS318Gv2... Which since I bought it did the exact same thing as you describe but THIS THREAD helped me solve my issues!  

You can also see via screenshots where I tried to reload the 4.3.3-6 firmware that was suggested by a Netgear Moderator, but would get the "Firmware file is invalid or corrupted" error so I definitely think there is a bug in the 4.3.3-6 firmware that doesn't allow updating via the web gui.  Or mine has been "defective" since I purchased it in January.

If you don't check out the thread, the "trick" I'm told is after unplugging/replugging it in, you need to go into the web gui and reboot it.  After this it doesn't "HANG" after 5 or so minutes.  

))------> !!!This is the entire reason I was trying to update to the 4.3.3-8 firmware!!! <------((

But I bricked my unit trying to update and I'm glad they are sending me another one.  When the power went out during a storm or whatever, my old FVS336 would come back up as soon as power was restored.  

Ricky

Message 10 of 26
shiekh
Guide

A GUI reboot would not be a solution for me, as I need it to be able to come up by itself after a power glitch; but such information should be useful for those who can fix this.

I don't know how they can tolerate the damage this must be doing to Netgear's reputation

I see you are on Charter (as I am also) and wonder if this is part of the problem.

Message 11 of 26
rickgode
Aspirant

You're right, that GUI Reboot is not a solution, but a band-aide.  We've had the power go out twice since January and each time, it took me several hours of trial and error before the router would "take" and stay up.  Once up, it would stay up until the next power outage.

I used the GUI Reboot yesterday right before I attempted to update the firmware and it seemed to "take" Again, the entire reason I tried to update to 4.3.3-8 was the hope that it fixed the need to unplug/replug then go into the GUI and reboot before it "took"

For me Charter is AMAZING!  It's only been down a couple hours in YEARS...  It's always been flawless and my speeds have been great.  People that I know that have switched to fiber or something else are always complaining about having to restart their modem or take off work to have a technician look at their stuff.  I have literally NEVER had to restart my Charter modem.  I guess that the storms that come in the spring take care of that for me...

I'm in a much better place now because a replacement is on its way.  I was pretty mad yesterday.

Ricky

Message 12 of 26
shiekh
Guide

Didn't mean to knock Charter, just look for some common modalities.

If your replacement isn't 4.3.3-8, will you risk tftp again?

I try not to get too mad, but I have quite a lot money tied up in Netgear equipment just sitting around awaiting a fix.

Hope we don't have to wait another 9 months, and that they have some beta firmware to try.

Message 13 of 26
rickgode
Aspirant

My router should arrive sometime today and I'll have more answers then.  In the meantime, I foresee three situations:

1) The unit ships with 4.3.3-8 and I set it up by manually configuring it all over again (Which is weird because I backed up my configuration files before attempting to update my firmware last week, but Netgear says it is a BEST PRACTICE to manually configure it) Then I'm a happy camper.

2) The unit ships with 4.3.3-6 (or earlier) and I am able to update to 4.3.3-8 via the web GUI.  In that case my FVS318Gv2 (or 4.3.3-6 firmware) WAS FAULTY and I'm glad I got a replacement.  I am a happy camper

3) The unit ships with 4.3.3-6 and updating via the web GUI DOESN'T WORK (which is what I'm expecting) Then I will have verified that the firmware 4.3.3-6 is the culprit that prohibits updating firmware via the web.  At this point, I'll call technical support and have them walk me through updating.  I have a mac I can try instead of PuTTY on the PC (multiple PC's I tried) which seemed to crash.  I'm just a camper...

Ricky

Message 14 of 26
shiekh
Guide

I had to tftp 4.3.3-6 to 4.3.3-8 but then I tried the GUI route and 4.3.3-8 had no problem 'upgrading' to 4.3.3-8 again and this thread alone shows there are at least 3 of us with this issue.

That's the good news, the bad news is that the other 4.3.3-6 problems still seem to be around; then again the reset trick tends to indicate the hardware design is sound, and that the problems reside in firmware. Not being able to use the unit is unfortunate, and hopefully they will have this resolved before they go obsolete.

Message 15 of 26
rickgode
Aspirant

I used solarwinds as my tftp and PuTTY on a PC.  I have a MAC I can use.  Would you mind telling me what programs did you use for tftp and for telenet please?

Thanks!

Ricky

Message 16 of 26
shiekh
Guide

On the Mac, for tftp I used

TftpServer

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11116/tftpserver

and for telnet I just used the terminal

Message 17 of 26
rickgode
Aspirant

So far so good.  My replacement arrived and shipped with Firmware version 4.3.1-11

Screen Shot 2016-06-21 at 2.24.25 PM.png

I then tried to upload the newer firmware 4.3.3-8 via the web GUI.

Screen Shot 2016-06-21 at 2.32.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-21 at 2.33.16 PM.png

I clicked upgrade, then crossed my fingers and clicked OK on the next window...

Screen Shot 2016-06-21 at 2.33.36 PM.png

Everything worked fine!

Screen Shot 2016-06-21 at 2.40.07 PM.png

I've come to two conclusions.  1) I don't like being a free beta tester 2) Either my original router was indeed faulty, or the firmware 4.3.3-6 is faulty.

When I got the original router, I plugged it in and began configuring it and after about 5 minutes, it locked up on me.  I didn't know anything about "rebooting" it via the gui, I just got the thing!  I unplugged it/plugged it back in and updated the firmware to 4.3.3-6 and was able to get all my settings configured via a single laptop and one network cable.  When I shut it down, so I could move it to my "network closet" and plugged in everything, it worked for about 5 minutes then "locked up" Mind you, this was the FIRST DAY I OWNED IT... It took a couple hours before it finally "took" and it worked until the first power outage and then it took me another couple hours of messing with it until it "took"

The 2nd time the power went out, I didn't waste two hours messing with it, I spent the time looking on the web to figure out what the deal was.  That's when I discovered the "reboot via gui trick"

My new router arrived today.  I plugged it in, and updated the firmware and configured everything over the span of about two hours.  It has no locked up and I never had to "reboot via the gui” So maybe my unit was faulty after all?

It's still just plugged into that macbook.  Later tonight when everyone in my house is asleep, I'll plug the router into the network and see if it still works or if it locks up after 5 minutes.  I'll post either way.  If it doesn't lockup without a "gui reboot" then shiekh, you might wanna get them to replace yours...

Ricky

Message 18 of 26
shiekh
Guide

My FVS318Gv2 had been upgrading fine till 4.3.3-6 (though I was unable to downgrade when tech support asked)

I have found that another trick to have it run indefinitely is to bring it up with very little connected (connecting the rest later); this might be what is happening to you now.

Do you dare emulate a full power cut? might as well know now, than later; power cycling the whole set-up and not just the firewall. The unit by itself runs indefinitely, so these tests need to be done fully connected.

Message 19 of 26
rickgode
Aspirant

Well, the jury is still out… The family was swimming, so I unplugged the old reliable FVS336 and plugged everything into the FVS318Gv2.  I didn’t unplug the modem or the other switches.  I left everything on.  (When I left everything on and plugged in the FVS336 everything worked fine)

I waited about 5 minutes and nothing… No internet light, so I tried to login to the web GUI and no luck there either.  So I unplugged everything and turned everything off and just had the modem plugged into the router.  I turned on the router and waited for the test light to go out, then I plugged in the modem and the after a bit the internet light came on, then I plugged in everything else and it is now up and running with 60mbps instead of the topping out at 30mbps with the FVS336.

I still haven’t done the “GUI Reboot” yet, but so far everything is working.  I don’t think I’ll need to simulate a power outage as I’m sure I’ll have one soon enough.

It’s been about 10 minutes and everything is working fine!

speed test.PNG

Ricky

Message 20 of 26
shiekh
Guide

Like you I don't appreciate being software quality assurance, but I think you have confirmed the 5/10 min issue is still present and that the 'start unloaded' trick is another way to get indefinite run time.

Does the replacement unit give you access to tech support? my days ran out some time back.

Anyhow, I think we can olny hope the next firmware version allows for an unattended start; I've already spent too much time on this issue already.

Message 21 of 26
rickgode
Aspirant

Well... I spoke too soon.  About 5 minutes ago the internet light went out and I could not access the router via the web GUI.  It seems that this firmware (4.3.3-8) only fixed the ability to load firmware via the web GUI that the 4.3.3-6 firmware seemed to break.  As it has done nothing to address the 5/10 lockup issue.

But... I left everything turned on and plugged in.  I unplugged/plugged in the router, waited for the test light to go out and the internet light to come on, then Iogged into the web GUI and rebooted the router.  I didn't have to turn off or unplug anything and so far it's up, granted it hasn't been 10 minutes yet...

I wish a Netgear tech would check out this thread.  We can't be the only people with this issue...

Ricky

Message 22 of 26
shiekh
Guide

Go join your failly in the pool... before you burn out 😉 Reviews on Amazon.com show many are having these issues.

We can only hope the moderators will see and react to this thread.

Message 23 of 26
shiekh
Guide

I have just realised I have sinned... by marking this thread as solved (the part solved is how to upgrade 4.3.3-6 to 4.3.3-8) this thread will likely not to get the attention of Netgear...

Perhaps someone other than myself could start a new thread

Message 24 of 26
johnakajohn
Tutor

I did give dire warnings in the original solution for the upgrade ! I suspected at the time it was something wrong with 4.3.3-6 but never got round to downgrading again and testing it as there one piece of the puzzle missing, a version higher than 4.3.3-6. Was also a bit aggravated I had to do my own tech support so didn't feel like going off and doing more detective work. Sorry others had to find out the hard way.
Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements