× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: FVS318N router keeps dropping connectivity

mmassee
Aspirant

FVS318N router keeps dropping connectivity

Hi all - I have posted this problem in the past. As usual. The problem clears up for several months and then comes back. This is with my FVS318N router. Since yesterday, I have been losing all connectivity several times a day. Yesterday it dropped 10 times. When this happens. I am unable to pint the router or log in to the router by connecting a laptop directly to a router port. I also still have issues with trying to stream live content. Where it keeps buffering. Today, support told me to do a factory reset. I really did not want to do this but agreed to it. The router stayed up for about 6 hours and crashed again. The only change I made after the factory reset was to set my wireless SSID to my setting and set a password. With my Verizon FIOS router and Linksys routers I never have connectivity issues. The problem is, I need VPN access to my home and this router has it built in. Can anyone give me any advice with this router? Is it this router just unreliable? This problem has gone on for a couple of years. Netgear support has sent me 3 - 4 routers via RMA. They all experience the same thing. Work weel for months, then start crashing. When it start crashing it's mulitple times a day which makes this router unsable. Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
mmassee
Aspirant

Thanks again for the replies. Having to power cycle the router is my challenge. When the problem occurs, the only way I can get acces back is to power cycle so I would not be able to get the data from the syslog. I was not happy support could not give me an ETA as to when an advance person could log into my router to see if they could uncover something, but I realize support teams are busy. I am accepting one more RMA and keeping my fingers crossed I will finally get a router that is reliable. As a side note, my Cisco router has been online for about 5 days now so I am confident the problem is with the Netgear router. Unfortunately my confidence is not there with Netgear any longer but am willing to try one more router

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi mmassee,

I apologize for this inconvenience. 😞  Since you have an online case open with NETGEAR Support, it would help if you will enable syslogs on your FVS318N.  Once the same problem occurs, it will be recorded via the syslogs.  After that, attach the syslogs to your online case for it to be analyzed by the engineering team as to why same problem occurs knowing that this is the 4th time your FVS318N has been replaced.  Have the NETGEAR Support expert assist you on how to get the syslogs from your FVS318N.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Copmmunity Team

Message 2 of 5
mmassee
Aspirant

Thanks - support is going to RMA one to me but I am notin favor of that. Given the number of routers I have been sent, I would like to get to the root cause I will suggest this with support. Question if you do not mind since support did not option this suggestion. Will the syslog survive a power reset if the router? When it hangs, that's my only option to get logged into it. 

Another side note. Two routers ago I enabled remote access and got support to agree to escalate the problem. However, after 2 weeks of that router still crashing I kept being told the escalation level would get to it, but we're busy and could not give me an ETA as to when they would log in to look at my router. I finally just took an RMA so I could have stability

Message 3 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi mmassee,

I am not sure if the syslogs will be able to also debug that you have performed a power reset on the FVS318N.  However, the dropping of connection will be captured by the syslogs by the time it occurs.  

For me, I think there should be an ETA as to when the engineering team should have remotely logged-in to check your FVS318N since the issue happened several times and it should be given priority because it has been replaced a couple of times already.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 5
mmassee
Aspirant

Thanks again for the replies. Having to power cycle the router is my challenge. When the problem occurs, the only way I can get acces back is to power cycle so I would not be able to get the data from the syslog. I was not happy support could not give me an ETA as to when an advance person could log into my router to see if they could uncover something, but I realize support teams are busy. I am accepting one more RMA and keeping my fingers crossed I will finally get a router that is reliable. As a side note, my Cisco router has been online for about 5 days now so I am confident the problem is with the Netgear router. Unfortunately my confidence is not there with Netgear any longer but am willing to try one more router

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements