× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

GS108PEv3 to WAX214 not providing internet

GS108PEv3 to WAX214 not providing internet

Hello everyone!

I have a GS108PEv3  POE unmanaged switch set up. It receives internet from verizon FIOS and I can access the management page and see that the connection to the router is 1GBPS. 

From there, two WAX214 wireless access points are connected using ethernet.  I can configure them, and see the networks they generate but no matter how I set up those networks I cannot connect to the internet:  my PC says "no internet"  and my android phone just refuses to connect and says "IP CONFIGURATION FAILURE". 

I think I tracked part of the problem to the connection between the WAP and switch:  the switch says that it is only 10MBPS connection (the POE LED is green showing it is providing power to the WAP, but the speed LED is orange showing reduced speed on the connection).    Both are pretty much "factory set"  with nothing fancy in terms of configurations (no VLAN, no servers, etc. no port mirroring).   It is just  VERIZON ROUTER -> GS108PE ->  WAX214   with ethernet cables installed by contractors. 

I assume the cables are good otherwise the WAP would probably just not have enough power. 

I tried resetting everything, changing wireless settings on the WAPs to no avail.  Any idea on how to troubleshoot what should have been an easy installation would be greatly appreciated! 

Thank you! 

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions

Re: GS108PEv3 to WAX214 not providing internet

@JeraldM  Thank you for your follow-up! 

I just wanted to update you: basically the end of the ethernet cable was no functional (a couple of wires had connection issues).   This is what made the WAP see the connection as "10 MBPS" . The contractors (with a big ladder) came back and fix those cables that are running in the walls.  Now the WAP sees "1GPBS" and the Netgear switch is all green led! 

It was just weird luck that the cable was messed up enough to not provide internet, but still functional enough to provide power to the WAP. 

Thank you!

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
JeraldM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@eratichomeowner,

Welcome to the community!

Do you have Internet connection when connecting a PC directly to the Ethernet ports of the GS108PEv3? Please check as well if the port LED is green or orange.

If it does have Internet connection, would it be possible to use that same cable and connect it to the WAX214 then set it up again?

Also, just to make sure, is the WAX214 running the latest FW (v2.1.1.3)?

Regards,

JeraldM

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 8
plemans
Guru

What happens if you directly connect the AP to the Verizon gateway?

Message 3 of 8

Unfortunately my FIOS G3100 does not support PoE and my WAP are only connected to the ethernet not a power adapter (they are set in the ceiling and I don' t currently have a way to take them down.)

Message 4 of 8

Thank you for those suggestions! 

So I updated to the latest firmware (still not able to connect)

Then brought my desktop to the garage:  i get internet access by connecting through ethernet to the GS108  including through the ports that are normally used for the WAPs.  The LED is orange though despite my desktop easily reaching 200 MBPS download speeds through that port. 

This is with a different ethernet cable. Unfortunately the WAPs are in the ceiling and I can't easily get to them to try to connect with a different cable.  But if the WAPs can generate a wifi network, the cable should be ok no?   

I also disabled any wifi from the FIOS G3100 (no clear rationale. Maybe just in case it messes up the connection.)  but did not allow me to connect to the WAP generated networks. I see them, I can login in, but no internet.

Let me know if you have any other thoughts.  Otherwise, I will go look for a ladder....

Message 5 of 8
JeraldM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @eratichomeowner,

It is somewhat weird that you're getting 200Mbps download speed on your desktop even though it indicates a 100Mbps connection on the switch's port LED.

By any chance, do you have a spare PoE switch or a PoE injector to connect it to the WAX214?

Regards,

JeraldM

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 8

@JeraldM  Thank you for your follow-up! 

I just wanted to update you: basically the end of the ethernet cable was no functional (a couple of wires had connection issues).   This is what made the WAP see the connection as "10 MBPS" . The contractors (with a big ladder) came back and fix those cables that are running in the walls.  Now the WAP sees "1GPBS" and the Netgear switch is all green led! 

It was just weird luck that the cable was messed up enough to not provide internet, but still functional enough to provide power to the WAP. 

Thank you!

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

Glad to see it was a bad end of the wire and not a hardware issue!

Thanks for updating us!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements