× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Guest Wi-Fi

dennis48755
Aspirant

Guest Wi-Fi

Hi, I would like to set up a seperate Guest Wi-Fi access to the internet only. The configuration diagram posted by DaneA here shows what I would like to do, substituting

- FVS336 for the Firewall Router

- - Profile: Default, VLAN ID: 1, IP: 192.168.90.1

- - Profile: Guest, VLAN ID: 250, IP: 192.168.100.1

- JGS516PE for the Switch

- WNDAP360 and WAC720 for the WiFi AP

- - SSID: Dennis, VLAN ID: 1, Wireless Client Security Separation: Enabled  - for full access to network

- - SSID: Guest, VLAN ID: 250, Wireless Client Security Separation: Disabled  - access to the internet only

I don't need a wired connection to Guest just Wi-Fi.

I have never setup a VLAN configuration before and could use some help.

I am overwelmed by the VLAN settings available in the ProSafe Plus Configuration Utility for the JGS516PE switch, just don't know where to begin; Port Based, 802.1Q, Basic, Advanced, Tagged, Untagged?   Please help me.

I have set up FVS336 and WNDAP360 as listed above, not sure if that is correct/suficient.

I would appreciate any/all assistance.

Thanks, Dennis

Model: WAC720|2x2 Wireless-AC Access Points,WNDAP360|ProSafe Wireless-N Access Point
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Guest Wi-Fi

Hi dennis48755,

Basically if you wanted to create multiple VLANs to passthrough on a single port or Trunk. For VLAN aware devices such as switch, access point, router, VOIP Phone, etc.), the port should be set to T or Tagged under specific VLAN membership and for non-VLAN aware devices(like printers, hub, PC, etc.), the port should be set to U or Untagged under specified VLAN membership then set the PVID to specific VLAN.

e.g. 
JGS516PE VLAN 802.1Q Advanced VLAN Membership...
VLAN 1 All ports - U (Default)
VLAN 250:
- Port 1 - T (WNDAP360)
- Port 2 - T (WAC720)

- If you wanted a PC to be a member of VLAN 250, You may set the port to U, then assign PVID 250.
- Port 16 - T (Firewall)

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
dennis48755
Aspirant

In thinking for posting my question above, and reading (again & again) the Web Managed Switches guide, it looks like I need to go into the 802.1Q Advanced settings because I don't want my VLANs configured by ports instead I want multiple VLAN activity through the same ports.

My JGS516PE (Web Managed Switch) configuration...

Port 1 - Wi-Fi AP (WNDAP360)

Port 2 - Wi-Fi AP (WAC720)

Port 3-15 - Misc wired network devices

Port 16 - upstream to FVS336 Port-4 (Firewall Router)

Still very confused with the tagged / untagged / blank port configuration.

VLAN 1 (full access) All ports U

VLAN 250 (guest)...

- Port 1 - T/U ?????

- Port 2 - T/U ?????

- Port 3-15 - Blank

- Port 16 - T/U ????? (to firewall)

Dennis

Message 2 of 4
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi dennis48755,

Basically if you wanted to create multiple VLANs to passthrough on a single port or Trunk. For VLAN aware devices such as switch, access point, router, VOIP Phone, etc.), the port should be set to T or Tagged under specific VLAN membership and for non-VLAN aware devices(like printers, hub, PC, etc.), the port should be set to U or Untagged under specified VLAN membership then set the PVID to specific VLAN.

e.g. 
VLAN 1 All ports - U (Default)
VLAN 250:
- Port 1 - T (WNDAP360)
- Port 2 - T (WAC720)

- If you wanted a PC to be a member of VLAN 250, You may set the port to U, then assign PVID 250.
- Port 16 - T (Firewall)

Regards,

Message 3 of 4
dennis48755
Aspirant

JohncarloV,

Thank you for your reply and suggestions.

It appears the settings you suggested are working just as I was hoping.

In my testing when connected to my "Dennis" Wi-Fi, ipconfig shows I am connected to my primary network (192.168.90.xx) and I have access to my network devices. When connected to "Guest", ipconfig shows connected to 192.168.100.xx and no network decies appear.

Thanks again for you help.

Dennis

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements