× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Home LAN

SighaticaPillow
Aspirant

Home LAN

I have a house that in notoriously WiFi unfriendly.  I am setting up new hardware while I paint the interior, makes it easier to patch and then paint.  I am waiting on some pieces but the layout is internet provider modem to my tp-link smartstream router, netgear poe unmanaged switch and 4 WAC505s on Cat5e cable dispersed through out the 1500 square feet.  My goal is to have this operate similar to a mesh so we do not have to worry about signing on to another access point as we move from room to room.  Any tips you can give me for set up will be appreciated.  At 67 yo I am not the most computer savy but want this system to run flawlessly.  Since I have explained my situation please keep it simple.

Thanks,

Randy

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Home LAN

@SighaticaPillow wrote:

I am setting up new hardware while I paint the interior, makes it easier to patch and then paint.

That's the perfect moment for adding wiring - a smart decision Double check the wiring and connectors before nice-y-fining things and final paint, e.g. using a notebook computer linking to the router or the Netgrear PoE switch connected to the router.

@SighaticaPillow wrote:

I am waiting on some pieces but the layout is internet provider modem to my tp-link smartstream router, netgear poe unmanaged switch and 4 WAC505s on Cat5e cable dispersed through out the 1500 square feet. 

Just wire-up the PoE switch and the WAC505, you can do this on the table with just a patch cable each and one Ethernet ink to your router LAN port to get used to it. 

Make use of Netgear Insight for the set-up and operations - can't be easier. Look here on Youtube: How to Setup a Basic Network | NETGEAR Insight 

You can use your exiting router wireless to do the set-up.

No need to have a Insight manageable switch, your non-managed is perfectly right. So skip the switch part. 

For the WAC505, you can use the discovery - there is no need for adding serial number manually or use the QR - so use the "Scan Network" as they show for the ReadyNAS. This will show all your four WAC505, and will allow adding these to your site.

This will set-up all your WAC with the same SSID including seamless roaming.

When done, connect a wireless device. If everything works as expected, you can disable the router WiFi.

Can't be easier.

Enjoy!

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
hnagaraju1
Guide

you have couple of choices. Both works for seamless roaming.

option 1)

Modem===Router=====Switch(GC108PP) ====AP1, AP2, AP3 (WAC540)

Choose WAC505 or WAC510 or WAC540 as your Acess points. you can mix and match also.

Make sure you configure same SSID on all APs. clients will roam seamlessly.

With Insight you get advance roaming like Fast roam (11r and OKC based).

These days, some of models access points like WAC540 come with 1 year of free Insight subscriptions (it may change)

Insight makes it easy to setup and managed 3 APs from one UI.

Choice 2 (OrbiPro 11AC or 11AX)

Modem==SRR60 ===== SRS60

Orbi Pro are system in box. combination of router, Swicth and access point.

Orbi Pros  supports both wireless and Wired backhaul.  At the same time gives you, easy of home router.

They also come in different pack size bundles. (1 base, 3 satellites).

Satellites have wired ports. Incase you want wired ports in the other room.

Message 2 of 3
schumaku
Guru

@SighaticaPillow wrote:

I am setting up new hardware while I paint the interior, makes it easier to patch and then paint.

That's the perfect moment for adding wiring - a smart decision Double check the wiring and connectors before nice-y-fining things and final paint, e.g. using a notebook computer linking to the router or the Netgrear PoE switch connected to the router.

@SighaticaPillow wrote:

I am waiting on some pieces but the layout is internet provider modem to my tp-link smartstream router, netgear poe unmanaged switch and 4 WAC505s on Cat5e cable dispersed through out the 1500 square feet. 

Just wire-up the PoE switch and the WAC505, you can do this on the table with just a patch cable each and one Ethernet ink to your router LAN port to get used to it. 

Make use of Netgear Insight for the set-up and operations - can't be easier. Look here on Youtube: How to Setup a Basic Network | NETGEAR Insight 

You can use your exiting router wireless to do the set-up.

No need to have a Insight manageable switch, your non-managed is perfectly right. So skip the switch part. 

For the WAC505, you can use the discovery - there is no need for adding serial number manually or use the QR - so use the "Scan Network" as they show for the ReadyNAS. This will show all your four WAC505, and will allow adding these to your site.

This will set-up all your WAC with the same SSID including seamless roaming.

When done, connect a wireless device. If everything works as expected, you can disable the router WiFi.

Can't be easier.

Enjoy!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements