× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

I have an issue with your software

Nickcin
Aspirant

I have an issue with your software

Frist Genie does not close for some reason, I have to quit it from task manager every time which is annoying. I just bought a new 5G Netgear router. And I saw you do not support Genie anymore. Fine. One of the selling point was I can manage my router without a phone, and one of the selling points is the newer NETGEAR Nighthawk app lets monitor and manage WiFi from anywhere. But I do not see Nighthawk app for Windows. Do you lie and make false advertisement? As I like your routers, they are reliable, and I'm familiar with the settings. Genie worked fine till this year. And I do not want to use my phone to manage my home network, which I use mainly with my PC with Windows 10. To take the phone every time when I want to check the network will be more annoying then using task manager. Also the WiFi of my phone is not constantly turned on, as that makes battery life much longer. Your browser UI is not good, usable, but not user friendly. So do you have actual Windows app to manage the network?

Message 1 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: I have an issue with your software

Anywhere Access is a feature of the Nighthawk mobile app thats only supported on Apple or Android phones or pads. The app is not supported on desktop PCs or laptops. 

Message 2 of 21
Nickcin
Aspirant

So anywhere is not actually anywhere. It is complete idiocy to manage through my phone a network which I use through my computer. Probably if I'm a kid and I use only phone or tablet, that will work. Do Netgear make toys? No. My phone has mobile internet anyway. To have administrator access with phone is nice, but not necessary. To have such with the device I use in the network - personal computer is necessary. So now I have to install third party Android emulator on my PC to use the APP?

Message 3 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Sorry you feel that way. 

NG supports management of NG products thru there onboard web UI pages on a LAN side network using PCs and laptops using the WEB UI. NG removed the remote access management for this a couple of years ago for security reasons. They only support remote or Anywhere Access thru the Nighthawk app on mobile devices only. There stuff so they design it how they want it. Most management is mostly done while on the local side and then set and forget it in most cases. Not a lot of need or use by home users from a WAN or remote side. Most home users just want there product to work with limited user management. If you need more remote management features, maybe NGs business class products is more of what your looking for. 

Good Luck. 

Message 4 of 21
Nickcin
Aspirant

To be able to manage my home network from mobile app, the app needs constantly open port to remote server, I hope it is Netgear server, but even then, it is remote access and potential security flaw. That is how mobile apps work. Mobile is not alike magic. Suppose I have to be grateful the server is not in China. Probably I have to switch to WRT, VyOS or RouterOS - someone competent who does not want to be fancy. I do not need constant remote access from my phone to my home network. I need to be able to manage my network when I'm in my home, using it with my PC.

There are two reasons mobile apps for routers are so popular - incompetency, so some people want to follow the trend, and the fact there are still more people in China who use their mobile devices as computers. That will change as the standard of living in China improves.

I live in big city in EU. There are dozens of powerful WiFi points nearby. So when I work from home and I see my internet stutters I check for interference and fast change the channel manually. Or when I play CoD or even LoL in my free time. These are actual situations when my WiFi speed drops in half in comparison to my cable speed. And when I change the channel all works fine again. 

In several cases I needed to change my router settings or even to reset my router. For some reason I could not change the password of the WiFi network with the browser UI, so I used Genie for that. 

Now Netgear wants to take my phone and to manage the network from there after reset. How is supposed to connect my phone? I do not see any ethernet port there. These are actual cases I experienced. That is why I call completely justified that new policy idiocy and incompetency. 

Message 5 of 21

@Nickcin wrote:

Frist Genie does not close for some reason, I have to quit it from task manager every time which is annoying. I just bought a new 5G Netgear router. And I saw you do not support Genie anymore.

Which genie is this?

The Netgear Genie for Android devices may be dead but the old apk is still there, although it does not support newer routers. It will do nothing for your new 5G router whatever that is. (5G is a mobile telephone thing, while 5 GHz is a WiFi thing that has been a part of most Netgear routers made in the 21st century.)

The other genie is the desktop program for Windows and Macs. This is still available and works for just about every Netgear device I have throw it at, including some that you won't have seen.

genie | Product | Support | NETGEAR

There is not much that it can control, but I find it an invaluable tool for looking at what is going on on my network.

Personally, I find the browser graphical user interface (GUI) to be the best way to manage routers. You can even use that with a browse on a mobile device rather than the app.

Message 6 of 21
Nickcin
Aspirant

So they stop the support for the mobile app only? The new router is WAX202. I mean 5Ghz. If you are right I have to ask in the Genie sections, as my desktop app does not close properly.

Message 7 of 21

@Nickcin wrote:

So they stop the support for the mobile app only?

I don't know what that means.

Which products support the NETGEAR Nighthawk app? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

The Netgear mobile app will still work with devices that do no have new firmware that supports the Nighthawk app.

The new router is WAX202. 

That is one of those odd devices that has never worked with any of the apps. It is classified as a "business" device.

If you are right I have to ask in the Genie sections, as my desktop app does not close properly.

That sounds more like something to do with your operating system. Netgear has no control over that.

Not sure that the app was ever designed to work with those business devices.

Message 8 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Check the InSight app for mobile devices for any and all Business WiFi Systems. NH app is only for Home NG products. 

Message 9 of 21
Nickcin
Aspirant

Here is fast update - indeed WAX202 is not supported by Genie. Genie cannot log off, that is why it does not close, so I have to log off before exit. It is not Windows issue. The new router works great, no issues there so it seems it does not need so much management like the old one. Anyway lack of good desktop app is still a shame. And all my points above are still valid. Most people need access through main computer they use in the network, but not through phone.

Message 10 of 21
schumaku
Guru

@Nickcin wrote:

Anyway lack of good desktop app is still a shame. And all my points above are still valid. Most people need access through main computer they use in the network, but not through phone.

Please think about the majority of users reading here are not Netgear employees or reps - any long sentences on a prehistoric and not longer applicable desktop or rant on your (or our) dislike for certain mobile Apps.

@Nickcin wrote:

Here is fast update - indeed WAX202 is not supported by Genie.

Excellent discovery and a great starting point. So https://www.netgear.com/support/product/wax202.aspx#docs is what we talk about here. 

Even if reflecting the very basic product: There is no word of any app - neither a mandatory mobile app, nor any desktop app.  

Not sure again why you mention a 5G router however. Even more confusion?

Grüsse aus der Schweiz,

-Kurt

Message 11 of 21

@Nickcin wrote:

Anyway lack of good desktop app is still a shame.

What would an app do that you cannot achieve with a browser?

I am a great believer in the Desktop genie, using it daily, but I can't see what it could do that is not possible with a browser.

Message 12 of 21
Nickcin
Aspirant

schumaku said:
"Please think about the majority of users reading here are not Netgear employees or reps - any long sentences on a prehistoric and not longer applicable desktop or rant on your (or our) dislike for certain mobile Apps."

This is what I'm talking about - complete nonsense. Do you use gigabit connection with your phone? No. You do not need anything even close. So why to use your phone to manage gigabit network? Because you are fancy? Nobody cares. This is highly impractical. Rational and practical is to use the device that utilizes your network, and this is your PC. 

Also I want as few as possible constantly open ports in my home network, by various reasons. And mobile app works outside of my network through constantly open port connected to some remote server. I suppose it is Netgear server, except if they decide to save some money and to outsource that service - many companies do that. 

Honestly I do not have any idea why I need to control my router from my phone? To check who logged in - there is history log. To change my password? It is home network - I did not ever change my password. Maybe some strange case when I have guest, and I'm not in home, so I have to create guest network remotely. Really I have no idea.

For business network phone control could be very useful. But for home network it is nonsense. In my home, when I play games, or work from home, or look for something in internet, or watch movie, and there are some issues, I want to be able to control the network by the device I use and I can connect with ethernet cable if I need to reset the router for example. This is convenient and rational way. 

Message 13 of 21
schumaku
Guru

@Nickcin wrote:
schumaku said:
"Please think about the majority of users reading here are not Netgear employees or reps - any long sentences on a prehistoric and not longer applicable desktop or rant on your (or our) dislike for certain mobile Apps."

This is what I'm talking about - complete nonsense. Do you use gigabit connection with your phone? No. You do not need anything even close. So why to use your phone to manage gigabit network? Because you are fancy? Nobody cares. This is highly impractical. Rational and practical is to use the device that utilizes your network, and this is your PC. 

Also I want as few as possible constantly open ports in my home network, by various reasons. And mobile app works outside of my network through constantly open port connected to some remote server. I suppose it is Netgear server, except if they decide to save some money and to outsource that service - many companies do that. 

Honestly I do not have any idea why I need to control my router from my phone? To check who logged in - there is history log. To change my password? It is home network - I did not ever change my password. Maybe some strange case when I have guest, and I'm not in home, so I have to create guest network remotely. Really I have no idea.

For business network phone control could be very useful. But for home network it is nonsense. In my home, when I play games, or work from home, or look for something in internet, or watch movie, and there are some issues, I want to be able to control the network by the device I use and I can connect with ethernet cable if I need to reset the router for example. This is convenient and rational way. 

Not sure what and why you are arguing here in the Netgear Business Solutions section, disputing arguments and answering your own concerns on what ever.

According to your earlier reference, your WAX202 (.> WiFi 6 AX1800/AX3200 Dual Band Wireless Access Points, WAX202 and WAX206 User Manual ) can be operated in Router mode: The AP functions as both a lightweight router and WiFi 6 access point, and can support LAN clients through its LAN ports. Because the AP is connected to your modem, the AP receives its IP address settings from your Internet service provider (ISP). The AP delivers IP address settings to its clients so that Internet access is provided.

No words of Desktop and/or Mobile Apps or support.

The unloved Genie App (hanging, looping, not closing, or whatever) by the way was never intended to work on these simple Business Models: Which NETGEAR home router models can I manage using the NETGEAR genie app? 

There are owners and users of Netgear Business Network environments operating their networks (business or home) from mobile phone apps, using mobile devices exceeding the capabilities of a Gigabit network link by far (even on wireless), doing network operations using Netgear Insight 

There are other groups of home and small business owners operating their networks, wired and wireless Mesh, and manage children’s online activity and promote good online habits for the family. Netgear Smart Parental Controls 

Probably hard to believe for some community members here, but this is all reality in early months is the year 2023.

Leben und leben lassen könnte eine gute Devise für dieses Jahr sein. Ja, auch ich tue mich manchmal etwas schwer damit  ❤️

Message 14 of 21

@schumaku wrote:

According to your earlier reference, your WAX202 (.> WiFi 6 AX1800/AX3200 Dual Band Wireless Access Points, WAX202 and WAX206 User Manual ) can be operated in Router mode: The AP functions as both a lightweight router and WiFi 6 access point, and can support LAN clients through its LAN ports.

That one has bitten several users over time.

It turns out that people buy these things without really understanding their purpose. Sometimes they do this because they see a WAX access point on offer at an attractive price. (Is Netgear trying to dump them?) They then end up with a bit of kit that isn't really what they wanted.

They then confuse the matter by asking for help in sections of this community given over to consumer routers, where the management processes are very different, with Netgear pushing everything over to apps on mobile devices.

Business users, the intended market for these WAX things, are usually a bit more clued up and don't need, or want, dumbed down management regimes.

Message 15 of 21
Nickcin
Aspirant

Actually WAX202 is great home router, and I know, cause I use it now. So the issue is not hardware. Actually it is not software too, as there are other software solutions, just not provided by Netgear. So I will use their excellent hardware, with better software, which allows me to manage my home network from my actual PC.

Message 16 of 21
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

It turns out that people buy these things without really understanding their purpose. Sometimes they do this because they see a WAX access point on offer at an attractive price. (Is Netgear trying to dump them?) They then end up with a bit of kit that isn't really what they wanted.

They then confuse the matter by asking for help in sections of this community given over to consumer routers, where the management processes are very different, with Netgear pushing everything over to apps on mobile devices.

Key issue here is Netgear's product management or product strategy.

WAX202-206 p1.PNG

This is what the average SMB customer does see and understand - it's a Wireless Access Point.

Yes, according to the RTFM there is a another  purpose. Confusingly it's the default feature. Out of the box, this AP product is a basic IP router. And it can be configured as a plain wireless AP optionally, if the customer want this.

Message 17 of 21

@schumaku wrote:

Yes, according to the RTFM there is a another  purpose. Confusingly it's the default feature. Out of the box, this AP product is a basic IP router. And it can be configured as a plain wireless AP optionally, if the customer want this.

They did the same thing with the DM200 modem.

Like the WAX APs, the DM200 can also works as a slimmed down router. And that was the default mode out of the shrink wrap. With no warning on the box, it caused grief to more than one user who turned up here wondering why their modem was playing up.

Message 18 of 21
schumaku
Guru

@Nickcin wrote:

So I will use their excellent hardware, with better software, which allows me to manage my home network from my actual PC.

You talk in secrets here. Which third party software does allow to manage your home network, probably including the RAX202 based services like IP config, DHCP, routing, ICMP proxying, ...?

Message 19 of 21
tommybest2023
Aspirant

I wanted to take a moment to thank you for your prompt attention to the issue I was experiencing with your software. Your team's dedication to finding a solution and ensuring my satisfaction was greatly appreciated. Thank you for your commitment to excellent customer service.

Message 20 of 21
vsmeeths
Aspirant

Hey everyone, I'm Karina!

To address this issue, I would recommend the author to explore alternative options. While the Genie software may no longer be supported, the newer NETGEAR Nighthawk app is designed to provide remote monitoring and management of WiFi networks. However, the author mentioned that they couldn't find a Windows version of the Nighthawk app. It's important for the author to verify if the app is indeed unavailable for Windows, or if there's a different version or alternative solution provided by the manufacturer.

As a fan of the author's dependable routers, I apprehend the frustration of having to use a phone to control the home network, specially when primarily the usage of a PC with Windows 10. Hopefully, the creator can discover a suitable Windows app or another convenient method to control their community except relying totally on their phone.

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements