× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: Internet speed drops when sent through WBC502 AirBridge

Internet speed drops when sent through WBC502 AirBridge

I have a WBC502 bridge connected to a BR500 router. The other end of the bridge is connected to a WAC540 AP. Using the Insight app I test the internet speed at the router and get a result of 504.02 Mbps down. When I test at the master side of the AirBridge i get a down speed of 148.64 Mbps. The down speed of the AP is 100.25 Mbps.

The speed drop from AirBridge to access point seems reasonable, but the drop from the router to the AirBridge seems very high.

Any ideas on how to resolve that speed drop?

Model: BR500|Insight Instant VPN Router, WAC540|Insight Managed Smart Cloud Tri-band 4x4 Wireless Access Point, WBC502 Insight Instant Wireless AirBridge
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions

@plemans 

I think I figured this out, and I am a bit embarassed. the receiving unit of the WBC502 was behind a window, which I had been told from a local tech guy wouldn't cause a problem. Out of curiousity I moved the unit and got 300mbps from the WBC502 and WiFi.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I don't think I would have figured this out if I didn't take the time to connect directly to the AirBridge and AP.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 13

All Replies
plemans
Guru

A couple things to try. the built in speedtest isn't the most accurate so try this. 

direct connect a pc/laptop to the airbridge and do a speedtest using the pc/laptop to test speeds. 

Then reconnect the wac540 to it and connect the pc/laptop to the wac540 and test the speeds. Don't use the built in speedtest. 

What do you get on these tests? 

Another thought is the Netgear Airbridge is supposed to be pretty solid when  using line of sight. I've never tested on ( @BretD @ChristineT  🙂 )  so I can't speak from any personal experience but a drop from 500mbps to 150mbps is quite significant. Is there anything in the way or how far are you broadcasting? 

Message 2 of 13

I'll run those tests, but no there is nothing in the way of the receiver. It's a pretty short distance between them, less than 500 feet.

Message 3 of 13
plemans
Guru

again, I've never used the WBC502 but supposedly its rated to 500mbps at 500ft with clear line of site and lined up properly. It'd be fun to test one to see what the actual numbers are. I did ask in a Q&A about actual usage but didn't get a clear answer on speed drop off with distance. And I haven't seen any actual tested data/reviews on one so I can't tell you what an appropriate drop off is. 

I'd try the testing first to see if the app was giving you reliable info versus testing with a hardwired device. Let me know how it goes 

Message 4 of 13
schumaku
Guru

@rarebreedfarm wrote:

I have a WBC502 bridge connected to a BR500 router. ..., but the drop from the router to the AirBridge seems very high.

This is a Gigabit-capable wired Ethernet link, isn't it?

The WBC502 is direction sensitive - is the bridge device front aligned looking direct to the WAC540?

Message 5 of 13
schumaku
Guru

@plemans These are the numbers for two WBC502 in P2P mode:

WBC502 P2P AirBridge Mode - Throughput.PNG

Message 6 of 13
plemans
Guru

so at 500ft, there shouldn't be that much of a drop for the airbridge. 

so main wbc502 hits 150mbps

AP side hits 100mbps. 

A bit of a drop there. 

the main issue is finding out why the main wbc502 is dropping from the routers 500mbps to the 150mbps. 

Again, I'd try testing not using the built in test to start with. 

@schumaku Thanks for that! Again, it'd be fun to actually test and see if those numbers are accurate. 

Message 7 of 13

took a bit for me to get the time to test, but...

with a direct connection from the LAN2 port on the WBC502 to my computer I'm getting the same speed as direct from the router (about 600mbps today). The internal test is showing only ~150mbps so it seems like that is the choke point, but I have no idea why. 

Thanks for your replies and help!

Message 8 of 13
plemans
Guru

The internal test isn't always accurate as they don't always choose a good test server. 

So you're getting full speed to the master of the WBC502. 

What speed do you get if you direct connect the the recieving wbc502? 

Message 9 of 13

Speed at the LAN2 port of the recieving WBC502 is 167 mbps. At the LAN2 port on the WAC540 access point the speed is 181 mbps. The WiFi speed from the WAC540 is 95 mbps.

Message 10 of 13

@plemans 

I think I figured this out, and I am a bit embarassed. the receiving unit of the WBC502 was behind a window, which I had been told from a local tech guy wouldn't cause a problem. Out of curiousity I moved the unit and got 300mbps from the WBC502 and WiFi.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I don't think I would have figured this out if I didn't take the time to connect directly to the AirBridge and AP.

Message 11 of 13
plemans
Guru

Glad you got it functioning more to your expectations!

I know that normal wifi functions aren't impeded much by glass but maybe with the directional setup that a point to point system uses is effected a bit more. 

Guess thats the downfall of never having used it 🙂 

Again, glad it helped though

Message 12 of 13
schumaku
Guru

@plemans wrote:

I know that normal wifi functions aren't impeded much by glass but maybe with the directional setup that a point to point system uses is effected a bit more. 

Modern window systems with multi-layer glass (safety glass, anti-burglar, noise protection, UV protection ...) and any kind of coating (the more sophisticated, e.g. IR reflective, the worse!) is making an easy death for any wireless application. 10..20..30 dB or more can be easy lost. in my home, the wireless quality outdoors depends massively on open windows, reflections ... from very good to short to the least workable WiFi signal.

The industry (Siemens Austria) has developed window systems where the thermal surface coatings are laser cut into symmetrical pieces allowing to allow selective mobile network band pass-through, initially for train systems.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements