× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Mesh Networking

JLTHLA
Aspirant

Mesh Networking

So I do NOT have the Nighthawk WiFi 6 router, but instead a WAX610 WiFi Access point. It works great, and don't have any problems with it.

I've coming from Ubiquity products and have been able to set up a "mesh network" with their 2 devices.  One inside and one outside.  However, UI continues to make managing their devices nearly impossible. The software for Mac doesn't seem to run on the new M series Apple chips, and I doubt there is any move to change that. UI wants everyone to buy their hardware to manage their WiFi access points.

BUT, I digress. I already have one of the Netgear WAX610, and am considering purchasing a 2nd one. I'd set it up just like the first with the same Wifi network names and passwords.  Does this configuration qualify as a "mesh"?  Meaning  WiFi devices will connect to whatever access point is closest?  Or is this just not possible with this hardware?

Message 1 of 4
JLTHLA
Aspirant

Re: Mesh Networking

And I forgot to add BOTH AP's are hardwired to the router.

Message 2 of 4
plemans
Guru

Message 3 of 4
JLTHLA
Aspirant

Thanks.

I did read the other post and pretty much assumed I was on the right path. I only have 2 AP's, at home with very few WiFi clients, so don't feel the need to pay for Insight.  It's more just full coverage both inside and outside the house. 

Thanks for your help!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements