× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

NETGEAR ProSafe Router

ExpTechs
Aspirant

NETGEAR ProSafe Router

I purchased the Netgear ProSafe FVS318N VPN Router for our company to help with pop-ups on our network.  When trying to configure it, I found out that it does not allow spaces in the SSID?  We have way too many devices to go and reconfigure each one.  Does Netgear make a ProSafe router that does allow spaces in the SSID??  Thank you for any help you can give.  

Rick

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: NETGEAR ProSafe Router

Hello ExpTechs, 

Yes, you can disable the wireless function of the FVS318N or you can just turn off the SSID broadcast. There is this thread here where some users talked about disabling the wireless fuinction totally, you can probably get some ideas. Here's where you will change the settings of the wireless network -also has the option to totally disable it. 

wireless.png

Click here for the reference manual, you can find the wireless configuration starting page 4. 

What kind of pop-ups do you get by the way? Can you tell me a little bit more about your network diagram? How is everything connected as of the moment? 

I'll look forward to your response. 

Thanks, 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello ExpTechs, 

Welcome to the community! 

Both of our prosafe routers FVS318N and SRXN3205 only supports Alphanumeric characters along with underscores but not spaces. However, we do have wireless access points that you can use. I have tested most of our AP's such as the WNDAP360 and I can use spaces. You may check the product specs below: 

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/datasheet/en/WNDAP360.pdf

I hope this information can help you fix your issue. I'll be looking forward to your reply. 

Thanks, 

Message 2 of 8
ExpTechs
Aspirant

H JohnRo,

Thank you for the quick responce.  We have a Netgear wireless router  now that does that for us.  The problem is we are getting inundated with pop-ups and re-directs when connected to our network

and were told a ProSafe router would help block that?  It has to be our network because when we take our laptops (and phones) and connect to other networks (home, etc...), the pop-ups stop?

Would it be possible to connect the ProSafe and disable wireless on it, then have the current wireless "feed" the wireless network?  Maybe you would have a better solution?  Thanks for you help.

Rick

Message 3 of 8
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello ExpTechs, 

Yes, you can disable the wireless function of the FVS318N or you can just turn off the SSID broadcast. There is this thread here where some users talked about disabling the wireless fuinction totally, you can probably get some ideas. Here's where you will change the settings of the wireless network -also has the option to totally disable it. 

wireless.png

Click here for the reference manual, you can find the wireless configuration starting page 4. 

What kind of pop-ups do you get by the way? Can you tell me a little bit more about your network diagram? How is everything connected as of the moment? 

I'll look forward to your response. 

Thanks, 

Message 4 of 8
ExpTechs
Aspirant

Hello JohnRo,

Thanks for your replies.  I was able to disable wireless in the ProSafe and continue to use the wireless from the other netgear so all is well.

No more pop-ups and re-directs.  I have it connected sa follows:  Internet Modem to ProSafe to Existing Netgear router to 24-port switch..  I thought I would have to disable DHCP in current

Netgear router but I didn't have to.  Thanks again and have a great day.

Rick

Message 5 of 8
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi ExpTechs, 

I'm glad that the pop-up's and redirects went away, you can also setup web filtering on your FVS318N. On your current setup, you may have to use DMZ in case you'll hva to forward ports in the future. 

Have a great day! 

Thanks, 

Message 6 of 8
gobroncos7
Aspirant

Hello, I and others are getting lots of popups on devices when they connect to our home wireless network that's provided by our Netgear wireless router.  Say anyone else visiting connects to it- they are going to get popups.  They disappear when my phone disconnects and goes to using mobile data, but another person's iPhone still gets them. Someone else visiting gets popups on her iPad just from being logged onto our WiFi.  The computer is connected to the router with an Ethernet cable and it also gets the popups. I have tried fixing the problem with the internet provider but have not had success. Why do the popups happen on devices connected to our router and what can we do to stop them? This forum post is the only one I have found that mentions people getting popups only when connected to the router.

Message 7 of 8
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello @gobroncos7

Welcome to the community! 

It may or may not be related to the post above, but for your case I would like to to get some information: 

1. What kind of pop-ups do you get? It ads or network notification pop-ups? 

2. What is the model number of your router? 

3. Does the pop ups show up when using wired connection? 

4. What is the security type that you are using? 

5. Please provide screenshots of the pop-ups if you have one. 

I look forward to your response. 

Thanks, 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements