× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: Need Suggestions on products to purchase

Cafetom
Star

Need Suggestions on products to purchase

Hello all,

I am looking for product suggestions.  I am a long time Nighthawk router customer for my home.  I am also a high end tech user.  I have my own datacenter in my house running vmware hybrid servers, about 15 VM's along with VDI servers.  While these do not run thru my Nighthawk, I do have high bandwidth expectations.

Currently I have 3 Nighthawk R8900's in my house.  They are getting long in the tooth.  I have 3 of them because I have the need for 3 separate VLAN's in my wireless environment.  I have been supporting it this way for about 4 years now and I have grown tired of managing 3 separate systems and am looking to upgrade to a single system.

I have a need to support at least 4 vlan's, preferably 8.  I need about 6000 sq feet with the ability to connect and support about 60 devices.  I have 11 TV's that stream and a ton of other IoT devices.  I have a DHCP range of 80 addresses and I have run out of IP addresses at times.

I have been looking outside of netgear simply because it seems that the only solutions that netgear has is as about as expensive as business hardware from Ubiquiti, Meraki, and Cisco.  

Suggestions on what to look at?

TIA

Tom

Message 1 of 2
hnagaraju
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Need Suggestions on products to purchase

SXR80 and SXR30 can be your Business router.

If you have lot of traffic, SXR80 will be better suited.

It supports 5 DHCP Pools.

can support up to 512 DHCP address.

Can support reserving IP address for some clients (useful for IOT deployments)

It has upto 4 SSIDs/WLAN (WirelessLAN) that can be mapped to different VLANs.

SXR80-Five-DHCPPools-VLAN.jpg

Depending on walls and how your floor plan is, you may need 3 to 5 SXS80 to blanket your 6000 sqft of building.

One more good thing about SXS80 is the Ethernert ports on them.

So you can wire up some of these IOT devices incase they do not have good Wi-Fi clients built in.  These ports can be configured as Trunk or access ports.  They can also LAG enabled if you have high end servers that need two ethernet cables for redundency.

SXk80-Ethernetportconfigurations.jpg

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements