× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Need a recommendation for wireless equipment

garystinnett
Aspirant

Need a recommendation for wireless equipment

just looking for a simple solution using POE access points and a switch.

Can someone recommend a Netgear switch to provide POE to 4 or 5 Netgear access points?

Hoping that the access points will have wireless controller software built in to manage the wireless network.  Need a POE solution rather than a mesh for this application.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Need a recommendation for wireless equipment

Gery,

The very basic low-cost version would be using four WAC505 plus the selected switch.

This solution with the four WAC540 will work out OK for a single LAN within the limits of one broadcast domain, one IP subnet only, and only one GbE port can be used on the WAC540 - you won't hit that limit where the LAG would be helpful very often, indeed.

You can manually configure the same single SSID on each device, however in my understanding not all features will be put up without Insight.

Regards,

-Kurt.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Gary,

I would recommend to go for a Netgear Insight or Remote Cloud Managed switch in combination with some Netgear One-touch wireless connectivity & visibility with Insight Managed Access Points - Insight and Local ...  access points like WC505/WAC540/WAX610 if indoor for example.

@garystinnett wrote:

Can someone recommend a Netgear switch to provide POE to 4 or 5 Netgear access points?

The PoE switch selection depends on the wireless access point power requirement, the wireless access point interface(s) [e.g. one GbE, two GbE in a LAG, one 2.5GbE], and last but not least the uplink/downlink capacity towards the other networks. 

Further on, you can choose unmanaged PoE switches (for a dead simple install), preferable as theswitches I have suggested above. Much easier to e.g. power-cycle reboot an access point from remote for example.

@garystinnett wrote:

Hoping that the access points will have wireless controller software built in to manage the wireless network. 

That's nowhere a part of a PoE switch.

To keep the management simple, you might consider using the Netgear Insight management (App, Cloud, ...).

This allows to bring up a single SSID with seamless roaming for capable clients.

@garystinnett wrote:

Need a POE solution rather than a mesh for this application.

I would always prefer a wired backhaul for wireless access points deployments (with PoE where the APs are supporting) as well as a switched wired backhaul for Mesh systems FWIW. 

Message 2 of 4
garystinnett
Aspirant

@schumaku Thank you for the detailed reply.  Going for the most simple solution, would this work based on your previous notes?

Switch:  Qty of 1, NETGEAR 8-PORT GIGABIT ETHERNET HIGH-POWER POE+ UNMANAGED SWITCH WITH FLEXPOE (GS108PP)

Access Points:  Qty of 4, INSIGHT MANAGED SMART CLOUD TRI-BAND 4X4 WIRELESS ACCESS POINT (WAC540)

no other POE devices to connect.

Am I correct that I would then need to use the Netgear Insight cloud app to manager and configure the single SSID to allow for seamleass roaming?

Thank you again for the detailed reply.

Gary

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Gery,

The very basic low-cost version would be using four WAC505 plus the selected switch.

This solution with the four WAC540 will work out OK for a single LAN within the limits of one broadcast domain, one IP subnet only, and only one GbE port can be used on the WAC540 - you won't hit that limit where the LAG would be helpful very often, indeed.

You can manually configure the same single SSID on each device, however in my understanding not all features will be put up without Insight.

Regards,

-Kurt.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements