× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Netgear Home Networking (Fiber/WAP/Modem)

EricWalker2222
Aspirant

Netgear Home Networking (Fiber/WAP/Modem)

Ok so i just moved into my home. I have TDS coming to install fiber on friday and I am not sure what they are going to be providing. With fiber do you still need a modem ? If so what is the best Netgear Modem that is recommended. 

I also have 2 WAP. WAX214. I still can figure out how to get them to share the same network. Ideally as I walk from the 2nd floor to my basement my phone would switch from the one WAP on network a to the second WAP on network b. I still dont fully understand how to properly setup this network inside of the netgear infastructure. 

Ideally the netgear modem would not be a modem router since i already have 2 WAP but if it did again i would want to be able to set it up so that is was all network a. I dont really want multiple networks floating around. 

Any help would be much apprechiated, I reached out to netgear support and they have not responded in weeks. 

Message 1 of 6
EricWalker2222
Aspirant

Re: Netgear Home Networking (Fiber/WAP/Modem)

anyone?

Message 2 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Hard to answer, especially from the other side of the planet - simply because of TDS Fiber does hide very well what they provide... Appears the marketing is mainly on speed, completely lacking on what they are delivering. Some notes for TDS cable says they don't support user supplied CPEs, so wild guess is they will bring a fiber router, with some GbE ports, probably wireless. Also unclear on how their digital TV offering is intended to connect, and similar the digital telephone service. Best guess they provide some set-top-boxe(s) which can be connected wireless or wired.

Said that, there is a good chance you can hook-up the WAX218 to the router by network cabling, configure the same SSID and wireless password and security on all wireless devices (the Fiber CPE as well as on your WAX218) and one could expect a wonderful wireless coverage in the year 2021. 

I suggest to wait what they will install and deliver....

Message 3 of 6
EricWalker2222
Aspirant

Yes so TDS installed fibre to a ONS and from there an ethernet cord to thier modem/router. From there I take it to a POE switch for my WAP. I dont want to lose there modem/router. what netgear product can i buy to connect to teh ONS and managed my networks from?

Message 4 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@EricWalker2222 wrote:

Yes so TDS installed fibre to a ONS and from there an ethernet cord to thier modem/router. From there I take it to a POE switch for my WAP.

Perfectly sufficient, isn't it?

So at this point you have to decide:

@EricWalker2222 wrote:

I dont want to lose there modem/router.

Either you are going to keep it in place, and are able to get the best support from TDS...

@EricWalker2222 wrote:

what netgear product can i buy to connect to teh ONS... ?

...or you replace it by any other router (for whatever reason) connecting the router WAN/Internet port to the ONS, and have your own router (or for the sake a WiFi router you don't really want). Side problems you might experience is that you need to figure out what additional requirements and configurations might be required for the TDS IPTV service, probably the VoIP service, ...

As per some reports on US ISP specifics community like https://www.dslreports.com/forum/isp-1135-TDS you could replace the TDS CPE by an own router, which "has to support IPTV" (whatever features and/or config requirements are implied). 

@EricWalker2222 wrote:

...managed my networks from?

What plans and ideas do you have for your "networks" and what are the management expectations?

If you need a fancy router look into a Netgear BR200 (it can support multiple LANs and VLANs with dedicate IP subnetworks) for example, or look around the market for technically (probably highly felxible if you understand wht you do) more or less challenging small business routers. 

Message 5 of 6
olase33
Aspirant

I suppose what Elaine intended, become that this is a widespread notification for all registered owners, to tell or remind them to update to modern firmware verison IF THEY HAVE NOT DONE SO ALREADY as you can see this page.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements