× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: Netgear WAC120 Wireless slow

Paul2004v
Aspirant

I've been on the latest firmware for quite some time and the problem has persisted.

Where would you want the access point configurations to be sent? I have two backups that I've just done. I just need somewhere to send them....

Obviously the issue takes 7 to 10 days to appear and I reset the access points yesterday so it'll be a few days before I can send any logs.

Thanks

Paul

Message 26 of 64
Paul2004v
Aspirant

I just found this thread...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Business-Wireless/WAC120-poor-throughput/m-p/977776#U977776

It seems the resolution for the owner in that thread was to have Netgear upgrade the devices to the WAC270 after six months of investigations. That was on v2.05 firmware but clearly the underlying issue has not been resolved...

Paul

Message 27 of 64
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@gwichman,

Since same problem still occurs on the replacement unit you have received, I suggest that you seek assistance again from NETGEAR Support and share the forum link that @Paul2004v has mentioned.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 28 of 64
raven99
Aspirant

I have upgraded to v2.0.7 and am also still seeing the same slowdown problems. I have noticed it is on a per device basis my iPad works at 90 Mbits but the iPhone has degraded to 2 Mbits download speeds. Upload speeds seem to be uneffected also. The Station monitoring screen shows the rate at 48.00 on the bad devices and 400.0 on the good devices all in mode 11ac and other stats are the same. Shutting down and up Wifi on the device does not fix the problem only a WAP reboot gets it working again at full speed, for a day or two. 

Model: WAC120|SOHO 802.11ac Gigabit Wireless Access Point
Message 29 of 64
Paul2004v
Aspirant

That's an interesting observation. If that's the case, it seems the AP is negotiating the connection speed and remembering it even after the device is disconnected. When the machine re-nogotiates its connection speed, the maximum it gets is the previously negotiated speed. At some point, the connection is being re-negotiated due to a drop in signal quality and the speed is lowered. Beause the re-negotiation seems to start from the last known speed, it will only ever negotiate downwards and over time the devices will get slower and slower.

This sort of behaviour would appear similar to a memory leak in the sense that a reboot would clear the mac address table with the connection settings allowing the devices to re-negotiate from the highest possible speed downwards and that results in the observed speed increase after a reboot.

Message 30 of 64
rraju
Aspirant

Hi Paul,

Please copy and paste the configuration and logs in the reply directly.

Thanks

Ranga

Message 31 of 64
seackone
Aspirant

Hi,

i've got the same problem for nearly one year. Is there already a solution available?

Greets

Message 32 of 64
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@seackone,

It seems that you have already opened an online case with NETGEAR Support with regard to your concern.  Kindly let us know about the progress of it.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 33 of 64
saschapil
Aspirant

Hi,

I was wondering if there is any progress on this matter?

Or should I just bin my wac120's and buy something else?

Getting a bit tired of finding lots of posts/forums with the same problems but no solutions whatsoever..

Sascha

Message 34 of 64
gwichman
Aspirant

i've been on vacation for nearly a month so have nothing new to report. upon returning a week ago, my replacement unit is currnetly working fine. I'm waiting for it to go south again. netgear support has asked me to repeat the ping tests and send them the results but i need to wait for it to fail to do so. in the meantime it's behaving.. 

Message 35 of 64
seackone
Aspirant

Betreff: Netgear WAC120 Wireless slow

@saschapil

I found many posts with this problem and no suitable solution. After one year of frustration, i send mine back to amazon. Thank you for this! I bought another access point (not netgear) for nearly the same money and im very very happy!
Message 36 of 64
rraju
Aspirant

Hi Sascha,

Don't bin them. I heard netgear team is working on this seriously. We will get an update soon. Meanwhile just add a script reboot the AP at midnight automatically. I can send the script to you if you need.

Message 37 of 64
benter
Aspirant

Just joined the forum to chip in and say I have exactly the same issue.  WAC120 on fw 2.07 and experience extreme slowdown on a number of devices over the course of a few days.  Rebooting sorts it for another few days.  Extremely frustrating and I'm considering buying something else...

A reboot script would be handy.

Message 38 of 64
rraju
Aspirant

Hi,

I shall come with a script that will do something better than a total reboot at midnight. Busy right now. Will come up with something by mid next week. This should work until netgear comes up with a serious fix.

I will publish it once I get it tested.

Message 39 of 64
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@benter / @gwichman / @saschapil / @Paul2004v / @raven99 / @rraju

I just got an update that a fix for this issue will be released as a new maintenance firmware for the WAC120 .  Its scheduled to be released in the 2nd quarter of 2017. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 40 of 64
gwichman
Aspirant

Thanks for the update Dana!
Message 41 of 64
Paul2004v
Aspirant

That's great news as I'm still experiencing the issue and still restarting the routers once a week or so.

Paul

Message 42 of 64
BroadbandMike
Aspirant

I get the same issue with my WAC120. I generally get about 65Mb but approx once a week it drops to 10Mb. Power the access point off and on then speed returns to 65Mb.

Message 43 of 64
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi all

We have patch image ready for this wilreless slow on 5 Ghz radio. Please reach https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx  to get the patch image

Thanks

Raghu

Message 44 of 64
Paul2004v
Aspirant

That link doesn't work.

DaneA contacted me privately and I'm now running the beta patch on one of my WAC120's. at 16:12 today I got a 186Mbps download from Speedtest.net. At best I can get about 208-212Mbps.

I'll check the speed every day for the next few days at the same time and at other times too and we'll see if there's a gradual slow down or not.

Oh and if anyone asks, I can't give the patch to anyone as it's on an NDA so please go straight to Netgear to get a copy if you want to run the beta.

Thanks

Paul

Message 45 of 64
Paul2004v
Aspirant

24 hours after the first test, the next speed test has delivered 193.16Mbps download speeds so a slight improvement over yesterday which based on the increase could well be down to local available bandwidth. At the moment though, there's no significant drop in speed during my periodic tests through the day that can't be put down to time of day and usage habits in general having an effect on our internet access. Certainly, the internal wireless speed seems to be pretty consistent.

Paul

Message 46 of 64
Paul2004v
Aspirant

5 days after patching and I'm still seeing full speed wireless connectivity. I've now patched both WAC120's I have with the beta firmware and they both seem to be operating just fine. I haven't rebooted either of them or my laptop in all this time.

Paul

Message 47 of 64
Paul2004v
Aspirant

Well by now, I would have already rebooted the devices using the old firmware but as of just now, I'm still seeing full speed data transfers on our network. The machine from which I'm testing has not been rebooted or powered down this week either so I can be sure that the machine and access points are both performing correctly.

When using speedtest.net. All the devices capable of exceeding the 200MBps Internet connection speed are reaching between 180-213Mbps as measured by the site. Devices such as Android tablets and mobile phones which are capable of 100MBps are reporting around 85-95mbps.

We've had no obvious slow downs on the internal network and the slow downs on the Internet connection can be attributed to the time of day and usage in the area as we're on FTTC about 80m away from us with Coax Cable into a DOCSIS 3 Cable Modem capped at 200Mbps by our provider the wired network is 1Gbps. All in all plenty of bandwidth for what we use and the majority of the devices we run these days are wireless so having stable fast wireless for the last week has been quite noticable in so much as we no longer notice any slow downs...

Paul 

Message 48 of 64
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Thanks Paul  for your feedback. Glad that beta firmware is working fine for you. Since your concern has been resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Message 49 of 64
Paul2004v
Aspirant

To be honest, I'd like to give the beta firmware at least another week of running before I say it's fixed for me. It certainly looks like it is up to now but the issue was quite random in its occurrence and we're now into the time period where I'd expect to be thinking about rebooting the devices.

I did experience significant slow down yesterday evening but resisted the urge to reset the AP's. This morning when testing, the speed tests are full speed again so it was my Internet connection and not my WiFi connection that caused the slowdown last night.

Finally, as I didn't open this support issue, I cannot mark anything as an "Accepted Solution".

Paul

Message 50 of 64
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 63 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 15 in conversation
Announcements