× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Occasional wireless network hang

bmomjian
Guide

Occasional wireless network hang

I am using the WAC730 with the most recent firmware 3.9.0.3, in stand-alone mode. I am seeing seeing all wifi traffic for all devices stop for 2-3 minutes every few days. I have tried locking the device on channel 11, and disabling the 5GHz band, and a factory reset, but nothing has helped.  There is no other wireless traffic in the area.   I do have a log dump of the device a few minutes after the most recent hang. Should I attach the log tar file?

Also, if I ssh into the WAC, I see this in top:

CPU: 0% usr 0% sys 0% nic 49% idle 0% io 0% irq 50% sirq

------------
        Load average: 4.06 4.10 4.07 3/67 28125

50% sirq looks suspicious.

Model: WAC730|3x3 Wireless-AC Access Points
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
bmomjian
Guide

Re: Occasional wireless network hang

I think I have found the cause of my hangs. I should have mentioned that I am using two external antennas connected to different antenna connectors on the same WAP, and the antennas are in different parts of the house.

By disabling Wi-Fi Multimedia (WMM) under Configuration / Wireless / QoS Settings / QoS Settings, I am not getting hangs anymore. I think there was a device on one antenna asking for priority, and when that happened the other antenna power was lowered on the other antennas, causing the hangs for some devices.  I basically can't have the any antenna lowering power.  I never enabled the QoS settings, but this one is enabled by default.

I was also getting complaints that some devices were going off the wifi when their screens were off, and I see that is fixed now too since WMM Powersave is disabled. (I notice the button is forced to "enabled" when WMM Powersave is disabled, which is odd.)

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Bruce Momjian,

Are you saying wireless clients are disconnecting from WAC730? Do you see this issue only on 2.4 or on both? It would be helpful if we know the wireless station details. Are these are phones/tabs/android devices or iOS devices? Please download the detailed logs from the monitoring page and share with us.

Thanks,

Raghu

Message 2 of 5
bmomjian
Guide

The clients are connected to the WAC the entire time, and eventually all the traffic reappears.  I don't know about the 5GHz band but I just turned it off in case the WAC was getting confused and moving stations to that band.  The hang happens on all devices at once, IOS, Android, and Ubuntu laptops.

How do I upload the tar file?  It says I can only attach jpg,gif,png,pdf files.  Should I upload the tar file to a URL?

Message 3 of 5
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

@bmomjian you can upload to google drive or any such similar web tool to upload log files. You can share me via PM.

Thanks for the details.

Raghhu

Message 4 of 5
bmomjian
Guide

I think I have found the cause of my hangs. I should have mentioned that I am using two external antennas connected to different antenna connectors on the same WAP, and the antennas are in different parts of the house.

By disabling Wi-Fi Multimedia (WMM) under Configuration / Wireless / QoS Settings / QoS Settings, I am not getting hangs anymore. I think there was a device on one antenna asking for priority, and when that happened the other antenna power was lowered on the other antennas, causing the hangs for some devices.  I basically can't have the any antenna lowering power.  I never enabled the QoS settings, but this one is enabled by default.

I was also getting complaints that some devices were going off the wifi when their screens were off, and I see that is fixed now too since WMM Powersave is disabled. (I notice the button is forced to "enabled" when WMM Powersave is disabled, which is odd.)

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements