× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

POE powered access point - with a POE port for CCTV camera ?

CDE2
Aspirant

POE powered access point - with a POE port for CCTV camera ?

Hi, does anyone know of a Netgear Wireless Access Point that is powered by POE and provides a POE RJ45 port to power a poe enabled CCTV camera?

Regards

Message 1 of 10

Re: POE powered access point - with a POE port for CCTV camera ?

@CDE2 wrote:

Hi, does anyone know of a Netgear Wireless Access Point that is powered by POE and provides a POE RJ45 port to power a poe enabled CCTV camera?

Did you check the product pages?

Wireless Access Points | NETGEAR

17 at last count.

Here's one:

Cloud Managed WiFi 6 PoE Wireless Access Point | NETGEAR

Message 2 of 10
plemans
Guru

Your looking for an AP that passes through the POE? 

I'm not aware of any that does as usually the AP is needing every watt that the POE connection can put out. 

Message 3 of 10
CDE2
Aspirant

Thanks for your time.  I have poe that comes from my garage to my workshop at the end of the garden - where I work.  That powers a pass through switch that lets me connect POE to the camera and also hook to an access point providing me network to work with.  The pass-through switch seems to have failed in some way and now no longer connects successfully to the camera.  I could just replace the pass-through switch but figured that given I'd probably have to spend £80 on a new switch then I might be better off looking at a WAP that also acts as a pass-through switch.  By the looks of things that doesn't exist.  New switch it is then 🙂  

Best Regards

Message 4 of 10
CDE2
Aspirant

Thanks, I have looked at that one - amongst many others - but although it allows you to power it up with POE it does not give you a fresh port to connect to another device that requires POE.  It only has one RJ45 on the back and that is where it would get POE input to power it up.  Regards.

Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

Did you check to see if the switch actually failed? Most POE switches can't passthrough much power and it could be the camera/AP you're running is needing more power than the switch can supply

Message 6 of 10
CDE2
Aspirant

When I first installed it in 2015 it all worked as planned.  More recently, probably over the last 18 months or so, the camera would drop off and to get it back on I used to reboot everything.  I decided to have a fiddle this week with the pass-through switch, changing ports and updating firmware (although the Netgear GS105PE is no longer supported) to no avail - get a flashing light on the port of the switch indicating a POE fault.  I decided to check that it wasn't the camera and connected the POE from the garage directly to the camera - works fine - so accepted that the common denominator was likely to be the switch.  As my old router, in AP mode, needs to be plugged in I thought I could combine pass-through switch and AP in one unit which would free up a power socket in the workshop.  Thanks anyway.

Message 7 of 10

@CDE2 wrote:

Thanks, I have looked at that one - amongst many others - but although it allows you to power it up with POE it does not give you a fresh port to connect to another device that requires POE.  It only has one RJ45 on the back and that is where it would get POE input to power it up.  Regards.

There are models with more ports, but powering the camera might be beyond them.

Message 8 of 10
schumaku
Guru

Not aware of any PoE AP with PoE pass-through from Netgear. A very rare species in the market anyway. 

Message 9 of 10
schumaku
Guru

Odd, the system has not showed subsequent replies to me since 18-AUG before posting.

More on the subject, if we look at the power requirements of modern APs, and even more the cameras.

An average dual radio Wi-Fi 6 AP like a WAX615 (AX3000 2x2 class with 5GHz: 20/40/80/160MHz 2.4GHz: 20/40MHz radios) or a WAX620 (AX3600 4x4 class with 5GHz: 20/40/80MHz 2.4GHz: 20/40MHz radios) does require power near or full to the 802.3at limits, like the WAX615 on 21.2W or a WAX620 on 25.5W. There is no spare power if operated on the affordable 802.3at PoE switch port.

Small network cameras start from about 4W, so if a hypothetical AP with PoE pass-through does require a 802.3bt power source - still a comparable expensive technology.

Beyond of all this, there are several challenges for the implementation (the AP has to define the power required at power on), so additional logic must be added to operate the AP shown above standalone on a 802.3at power source, or requesting 802.3bt if there should be power available on a pass-through PoE port. When we look at the challenges people have deploying for example the Netgear GS105PE, a simple small switch with PoE passthrough capabilities - starting from the tech requirements and limitations up to the operational and finally support challenges, honestly, I understand the industry does not design bigger devices like APs or the like with PoE passthrough.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements