× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: Point to Point Wireless Bridge not working

Tabasco
Aspirant

Point to Point Wireless Bridge not working

I asked a question a few weeks ago about trying to extend our network wirelessly. The recommendation was not to invest in Orbi but, instead, to purchase additional WNDAP360 access points. I did this. I have followed the directions to the letter and get the two APs to connect when both are plugged into the ethernet LAN. But when I disconnect one of the APs, I can't get them to connect.

The AP that remains connected to the ethernet LAN (and internet)  is connected to a WMS5316. Could that be causing my problem?

I'm truly baffled and cannot find any really detailed information on the Netgear website.

I welcome any help.

Model: WNDAP360|ProSafe Wireless-N Access Point
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Tabasco
Aspirant

Thanks. This helped. Ultimately, what solved this for me was entering the correct MAC addresses that the AP's connect with as a wireless bridge. I originally entered the MAC address printed on the AP itself but this never worked. Then I noticed that the local MAC address shown in the Wireless Bridge section of the  settings screen was different than that printed on the back of the AP. I entered this address into the Wireless Bridge section of the other AP and it worked! I'm not sure I understand why the MAC address is different. Also, the 2.4g and 5g MAC addresses are different for the same AP. Anyway, it works now.

I would be curious if there is a white paper or any instruction about why this behavior of MAC addresses.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Tabasco,

If you wanted to have a wireless bridging to work, only one WNDAP360 should be connected to the WMS5316 and the other will be connected thru wireless.

You may check the manual on page 90 for setting up wireless bridging. You may also open a chat / case online on NETGEAR Support as the brand new AP is still under the 90 days support.

Regards,

Message 2 of 3
Tabasco
Aspirant

Thanks. This helped. Ultimately, what solved this for me was entering the correct MAC addresses that the AP's connect with as a wireless bridge. I originally entered the MAC address printed on the AP itself but this never worked. Then I noticed that the local MAC address shown in the Wireless Bridge section of the  settings screen was different than that printed on the back of the AP. I entered this address into the Wireless Bridge section of the other AP and it worked! I'm not sure I understand why the MAC address is different. Also, the 2.4g and 5g MAC addresses are different for the same AP. Anyway, it works now.

I would be curious if there is a white paper or any instruction about why this behavior of MAC addresses.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements