× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Power requirements for WAX214v2

Southst
Aspirant

Power requirements for WAX214v2

What are the minimum power requirements when using a Poe+ injector with the wax214v2 access point? Approximately 50’ run from the Poe injector to the wap.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 4
microchip8
Master

Re: Power requirements for WAX214v2

Can't find or Google for documentation???

Go to NETGEAR's site, go to Support, enter your model number, get PDF, read!
Message 2 of 4
Southst
Aspirant

That would have been an extremely helpful response if the documentation for that wap, which I had previously read, actually specified minimum power requirements. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, it doesn’t, so it is not.

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

It's printed about 100 times (wild guess) in the WAX214v2 User Manual

PoE+ (802.3at) switch is required, however a PoE (803.2.af) switch might be sufficient if the the AP’s 2.4 GHz radio works with reduced transmit power. Certainly not something I'd see as a normal suggested operation status,

The minimums are set by the IEEE standardization - this depends on the possible length of the installation. Again not something you should consider as an installation standard, unless you are to cheap to invest in industry standard PoE+ switches.

Strictly stay with the IEEE Standards, like 802.3at or bust. Can't be easier.

Can't wait for a new post where somebody comes and lists cable quality and length, some voltage and amps details, in-span and out-span blah, and so on. Far to many power injectors in the market, for proprietary junk like so called passive PoE devices. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements