SRXN3205 With WG103's

BC_Service
Aspirant

SRXN3205 With WG103's

We have a main building with a SRXN3205, and two satellite buildings that each have a WG103. Is it possible to wirelessly connect all three? Here's what it looks like:

Main Building:

SRXN3205 with LAN, WAN

Building 1:

125' from main building

WG103

Building 2:

300' from main building

WG103

Can the main building be bridged with building one or does there need to be another WG103 there? Or is there another way to connect that I'm just not seeing? Building 3 is close enough to use building 2 so I shouldn't need an external antenna with the secure multi point to point functionality. I'm not an expert at this type of setup, but it seems that we shouldn't need four pieces of hardware to make it work.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: SRXN3205 With WG103's

limitation from srxn to first WG is the security. You may need to use wg103 at main as well to use WPA or WPA2

also repeat will keep reducing the throughput as well so know that as well.

directional antenna also need it as all AP is omni directional and may not supply good signal so you want to use on all but this more by doing live test and site survey

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/
great tool to use
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 7
BC_Service
Aspirant

Thank you for the quick response and the helpful information. I recalculated the distances and it looks like the remote buildings are 250 and 500 feet away, candidates for omni directional antennae.

We may have to make some hardware modifications, but in the meantime it would be great to have some form of connection at all. I have a Netgear ticket out to determine this, but in the meantime, does anyone know if the SRN3205 can wirelessly bridge with another device?

Thanks again.
Message 3 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

If repeating option is available in srxn then you can but problem is the security will be limited to WEP only unless you place WG at main location to use WPA
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 7
adit
Mentor

The WG103 cannot do simultanious bridge and wireless client associations. I don't believe that the SRXN3205 will either. Netgear reserves those features for newer, more advanced WAPs. http://www.netgear.com/business/products/access-points-wireless-controllers/access-points/WG103.aspx... WNDAP360 or WNDAP350 might be better choices. I use WNDAP360's with the Netgear ANT24 panel kits for point to point connections. http://www.netgear.com/business/products/access-points-wireless-controllers/access-points/default.as...
Message 5 of 7
BC_Service
Aspirant

Ok thanks guys, it looks like we need to change our setup a little bit. The ISP setup requires that we have a more advanced firewall like the FVS336G - The SRXN3205 is the same animal only it is wireless and has two wan ports. I have tested the WG103's and they work reasonably well, but no wireless connection to the SRXN - Netgear is still working on whether I can do it, but after 3 conversations and a lot of work on their end I have my doubts.

So if we return what we have and start from scratch, what should we get? The ISP requires firewalling/OTO NAT at least as good as the FVS336G due to the extra ip block we got. Should we get one of those and then use three WG103/WNDAP360, etc?

@jmizoguchi - You recommended antennas in another thread and posted the link. I can't find it, what was the name of that outfit?

Thanks again.
Message 6 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Check prosecure UTM series

Prosecure.netgear.com
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM