× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

SSL cert with WAX630

colintd
Aspirant

SSL cert with WAX630

I love my WAX630, but the self-signed cert it generates doesn't include a "Subject Alternative Name" field, which means even if I import the cert into my computer's Trusted Root CA Store, it still generates a browser error.  

Based on having used many, many, other networking devices, what should happen is when I set/change the FQDN on the WAX630 it should regenerate the cert and fill in this field.

Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Re: SSL cert with WAX630

@colintd wrote:

Based on having used many, many, other networking devices, what should happen is when I set/change the FQDN on the WAX630 it should regenerate the cert and fill in this field.

Still, these are self-signed certificates and not signed by a trusted CA. The correct FQDN is just a small part to make a certificate trusted.

Unfortunatley, I'm talking against the Chinese Wall requesting the ability to generate a CSR or at least the ability to import a CA-signed certificate and public key pair for almost all Netgear networking devices. 

Message 2 of 4
colintd
Aspirant

Agree that proper cert signing / install is what I'd really like, but the current "support" is broken to the extent that even manually installing as a trusted CA cert _doesn't_ allow the self-signed cert to be accepted 😞  

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Self-signed makes impossibly a real trusted certificate. Override or dismiss a browser security warning or whatever other tricks to make them trusted does still not make up a real trust or certificate handling.

Even if the Subject Alternate Name would be customizeable, the certificate won't be trusted - many more factors required.

Trusted certificates must always be signed by a trusted CA. Anything else is c***p.

Netgear switches (at least these supporting https) need a signed certificate, with the trust chain included.

Unfortunately, Netgear isn't ready for prime time when it comes to real world certificate handling. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements