Setup multiple SSID's one a single AP

mohammed_ghani
Aspirant

Setup multiple SSID's one a single AP

Hi all

I am brand new to this forum and was wondering if I could get some advice. One of our customers has a Netgear Prosafe  WC7600 wireless LAN controller and I am having issues broadcasting two SSID's from one access point. There are several access points around the building and they broadcast the main SSID however, one access point needs to broadcast the main network plus a guest network. Is this possible? Any information will be useful.

Kind regards

Mo

Message 1 of 5
nmhTester
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Setup multiple SSID's one a single AP

WC7600 supports upto 8 SSID per AP.

you can put the AP into seperate"group" and configure that group to have two SSIDs you need.

How to create a new group and assoicate an AP to that new group :

https://kb.netgear.com/25172/How-do-I-add-an-Advanced-Profile-Group-on-my-ProSAFE-Wireless-Controlle...

How to create SSID for the newly created group

https://kb.netgear.com/25174/How-do-I-configure-a-profile-in-an-Advanced-Profile-Group-on-my-ProSAFE...

Message 2 of 5
mohammed_ghani
Aspirant

Hi nmhTester

Thanks for your response. The problem I have is that one of the SSID's that I want to broadcast from the access point is already broadcasted on other access points and part of another group. When I attempt to add the same SSID to another group it doesn't let me as it's already been used. I hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Mo

Message 3 of 5
RajaM
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Mo,

Welcome to Netgear Community,

1. AP will broadcast the SSID based on the group they belongs to.
2. By default all the APs will be part of basic group.
3. I believe you have all the APs in basic and you have profile "mainSSID", that is the reason "mainSSID" broadcasted from all the APs.
4. If you want to have "Guest" SSID for only one AP, then navigate to Configuration -> WLAN Network -> Select the AP which you want to have "Guest" SSID-> Choose group 1->Apply.
5. Navigate to configuration -> Profile ->Advanced -> Radio ->Edit ->Confgure "mainSSID"->Apply->Press + button-> Add -> Configure "GuestSSID"->Apply.

Please find an attachment for screen shot.

Note:

1. If you are trying to have same SSID on the same band, then controller would not allow you to configure and it will throw an error saying "SSID already exist". Having same SSID on the same band is not recommended.

2. You can create/add "same SSID" in different group or you can add same SSID on both 802.11b/bg/ng and 802.11a/na/ac.There won’t any issue. 

Thanks

Raja M

Message 4 of 5
RajaM
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Mo,

We would like to follow up on this issue, could you please try these steps which @RajaM have mentioned and let us know your feedback?

If you found this solution helps, kindly change the status.

Thanks

Raja M

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements