Slow connection speeds on WAC730

rgardner
Aspirant

Slow connection speeds on WAC730

I have a WAC730 Access Point connected to a FVS318N. The wifi on the FVS318N is off. We currently are able to connect via hardwire to the router and get 400Mbps/40Mbps (download/upload) speeds all day long. But when connecting wirelessly to the WAC730 with that same device. We can only get 100Mbps/40Mbps, weather we connect via 2.4GHz or 5GHz.

WHY?

Please help me to fix this issue, as I know the access point can handle those speeds the router is receiving.

Model: WAC730|3x3 Wireless-AC Access Points
Message 1 of 14
NXIXN
Apprentice

Re: Slow connection speeds on WAC730

Is your WAC730 connects to a PoE switch or using a separate power adapter? If you are using PoE switch you may want to verify the PoE switch is in 1 Gbs link otherwise this could be the bottle neck. I know for a fact that WAC730 Aps does not come with a power adapter. You also need to know if your wireless client supports wireless AC standard to get faster than a wireless N speed of 300 Mbps. Please see if you can get a laptop with wireless AC adapter built-in and check its link speed with the WAC730 wifi. 

These are just my thoughts and may not be your case. Hope I could help.

Message 2 of 14
rgardner
Aspirant

Yes, it is powered from a separate power supply, purchased from Netgear at the time of purchase of the WAC730.

How can I find out "wireless client supports wireless AC standard"?

My galaxy s7 and galaxy tab A which is only 1 month old, as samsung just came out with it 6m ago.

Both are only seeing 100/40.
Message 3 of 14
NXIXN
Apprentice

You can check them through their specifications from the manaufacturer or you can find them below:

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung-phones-9.php

Be sure to select the correct version of your devices.

You may also need to check that these devices are acoonected to the 5 Ghz wifi of your WAC730 to get close to the expected wireless speed and Internet Download/Upload.

Message 4 of 14
rgardner
Aspirant

My Samsung Galaxy Tab A, Samsung Galaxy S7 and my Amazon FireStick V2 all say the same thing.

WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, WiFi Direct, hotspot

They are all connected via 5GHz
Message 5 of 14
NXIXN
Apprentice

Have you tried changing the 5Ghz wifi channel? Maybe try 157 or 161 but feel free to experiment which channel will give the best speed also set the MCS Index / Data Rate to 23.

Message 6 of 14
rgardner
Aspirant

Channel was auto, changed to 161. And Date rate was Best, changed to 54. We will see what changes. Now I can connect to the access point at all. I keep getting authentication errors.

Finally got on and im seeing 25/40 now.
Message 7 of 14
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

@rgardner  Have you ever tested without FVS318N ? That would be the first step I would say.  

If possible please share your configuration.  

PS- I hope your AP is on the latest firmware.

Thanks,

Raghu

Message 8 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi,

Can you also please check the link speed between WAC730 and FVS318N? Looking at numbers you shared(100Mbps/40Mbps), I suspect if the link is establshed to 100Mbps instead of 1Gbps. Try checking with other ports on firewall, Ideally LAN LED should be Solid green on firewall.

LAN LED Definitions on Firewall:

Right LED

Off

The LAN port is operating at 10 Mbps

On (amber)

The LAN port is operating at 100 Mbps

On (green)

The LAN port is operating at 1000 Mbps.

Message 9 of 14
rgardner
Aspirant

How can I bypass the FVS318N? If I plug the access point directly in the back of the modem I thought it wouldnt work?

I was under the impression that the access point just provides wireless access to a router. And that the router provides IP's to the access point. That if I plug the access point directly into the modem there would be nothing giving an IP to the access point. In addition to that every device that connects to the access point would all have the same IP address the in theory.

When I plug my laptop directly into the router I get 400/40. What I wirelessly connect to my access point from that same laptop I get 100/40.
Message 10 of 14
rgardner
Aspirant

I checked and the right light was Green. I did move it to a different port on the router. I got the same green light and the same testing results.
Message 11 of 14
rgardner
Aspirant

Bump... anyone hsve anymore why my speed is so slow?
Message 12 of 14
DaneA
NETGEAR Moderator

@rgardner,

Kindly answer the questions below:

a. Are there any other access points nearby within the area where the WAC730 is deployed?

b. How is the WAC730 deployed?  Is it mounted on the ceiling or in a side-wall? Is it on top of a shelf? It would be best if you could describe the environment (surroundings) where and how the WAC730 is deployed.  You may post a picture of it if you want. 

c. How high is the WAC730 from the floor?

d. Have you tried to update the driver of the wireless adapter of your laptop as well as make updates on your other wireless devices? 

e. Kindly try to unsecure both 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless networks configured on the WAC730.  Are you able to go online wirelessly just fine on any wireless device like laptop/s or android mobile phone/s if the 2.4GHz and 5GHz  wireless networks are unsecured?

The latest firmware for the WAC730 is v3.8.3.0.  If ever your WAC730 is not yet in the latest firmware version, I suggest you to upgrade it.  You can download firmware v3.8.3.0 here.  Be reminded to perform a factory reset after upgrading the firmware then reconfigure the settings from scratch in order to start clean using the latest firmware version. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 13 of 14
DaneA
NETGEAR Moderator

@rgardner,

I just want to follow-up on this.   We’d greatly appreciate your feedback.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements