× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Telnet Support for WAC124

GromitD90
Aspirant

Telnet Support for WAC124

I am considering purchasing a WAC124/AC2000 for use as an Wireless Access Point but only if I know that I can enable a telnet interface on the device.

Can anyone tell me if telnet is enabled by default or if it can be enabled as an option?

If the latter can you tell me what the process is to enble it?

Thanks

Mike

Model: WAC124|AC2000 Dual Band 4x4
Message 1 of 3
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Telnet Support for WAC124

Hi @GromitD90 

Do we know the reason for the Telnet access? What is your use case?

Thanks,

Raghu

Message 2 of 3
GromitD90
Aspirant

Re: Telnet Support for WAC124

Well I shouldn't really have to justify why I need it to get an answer, but I will share my use case with you anyway. I am currently using 2 Netgear R7000's and an old WNDR3700 as access points. The R7000's are running stock firmware, the WNDR3700 runs DD-WRT firmware. Using standard GUI interfaces I can login to each device and see which wireless clients are connected to each, but I have to examine all 3 to get a complete network picture. So I wrote myself a C# program that monitors my network by polling the 3 access points using telnet to query the AP's using the wl assoclist command and building a table that gives me a holistic network view of connectivity. I can also track mobile clients migrating from one AP to another and the program also sends a text message to my mobile phone if an unknown device associates with one of the AP's. I want to replace the WNDR3700 and am considering a WAC124 but only if I can enable Telnet so my app will continue to function as designed \ Mike
Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements