× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: URL filtering

Moussa854
Aspirant

URL filtering

Can I increase the number of URL filtering to more than 10?

Model: WAC510|Insight Managed Smart Cloud Wireless Access Point
Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

@Moussa854 wrote:

The two WAN Interface DNS entries are grayed as this is a dynamic interface type. 

That's why it can't work - @RaghuHR the WAC510 UI needs to be enhanced so the admin can define his own DNS server IP addresses please!

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 18

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Probably not - considering it's limited reach (does not work on https, does not work for many Apps) the the feature can be removed from these wireless APs every day. Matter of fact, the feature is not even listed on the WAC505/WAC510 tech specs.

Message 2 of 18
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

@Moussa854 Currently you can add up to 10 entries maximum.

Message 3 of 18
schumaku
Guru

@RaghuHR wrote:

@Moussa854 Currently you can add up to 10 entries maximum.

When can you remove the (honestly: useless) feature? It's just adding overhead to the code, slowing down proessing. Zero added value for security.

Message 4 of 18
Moussa854
Aspirant

So, I am trying to block the adult site and others and I was not able to get it to work with OpenDNS, any suggestion?

Best,

Message 5 of 18
schumaku
Guru

@Moussa854 wrote:

So, I am trying to block the adult site and others

So hundred or thousand entries would not be enough. And the simple bypass by using https instead remains.

@Moussa854 wrote:

I was not able to get it to work with OpenDNS, any suggestion? 

To vague. Using the WAC510 as a router or as a wireless access point only? Configure the Internet router as well as the WAC to make use of the OpenDNS DNS server IP addresses intended for the OpenDNS service packet/product. Unless you have a very good router which would allow firewalling DNS queries to other DNS providers, the users can still configure alternate DNS servers on their computers.

OpenDNS - Router Configuration - best for home use

Message 6 of 18
Moussa854
Aspirant

Thank you,  schumaku.  I am using the WAC510 as a router and Access Point. I am planning to provide a guest WIFI and would like to block adult, file sharing and other websites for average people, any suggestion will be appreciated.

Best.

Message 7 of 18
schumaku
Guru

You can still use one of the OpenDNS offers (free - like Family Shield or OpenDNS Home - however the WAC510 does not allow using different DNS for the Guest network. And then again no forced control so the DNS handed out by DHCP can't be overridden manually. @RaghuHR - Ideas?

Message 8 of 18
Moussa854
Aspirant

I was hoping staff will not use adult or peer to peer sharing websites. Hence, blocking these websites for guests and staff will be favorable. 

Anyone able to manage OpenDNS with Netgear routers? I replaced the primary and secondary DNS server with 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 but that did not do the trick and I also signed up for an account and placed my network IP and still did not work. 

Message 9 of 18
schumaku
Guru

@Moussa854 wrote:

Anyone able to manage OpenDNS with Netgear routers? I replaced the primary and secondary DNS server with 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 but that did not do the trick and I also signed up for an account and placed my network IP and still did not work. 

Works OK e.g. on the R9000 - either the OpenDNS 208.67.220.220/208.67.222.222/208.67.220.222 or the preconfigured Family Shield OpenDNS addresses 208.67.222.123 and 208.67.220.123. Have checked that the DHCP does hand out these DNS servers or only the router LAN IP with the DHCP on the WAC510?

Message 10 of 18
Moussa854
Aspirant

I put the 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 on both the  LAN IP section and the DHCP  primary and secondary DNS section.

Message 11 of 18
schumaku
Guru

When re-connecting a client or mobile to the WAC510 in router mode (WLAN or wired), with IP and DNS config provided by DHCP, what shows https://welcome.opendns.com/ ?

The two WAN Interface DNS entries are also configured to the OpenDNS IP addresses?

Message 12 of 18
Moussa854
Aspirant

schumaku, I will check it tomorrow. Thanks in advance.

Message 13 of 18
Moussa854
Aspirant

For "When re-connecting a client or mobile to the WAC510 in router mode (WLAN or wired), with IP and DNS config provided by DHCP, what shows https://welcome.opendns.com/?" 

I got "Oops!"

The two WAN Interface DNS entries are grayed as this is a dynamic interface type.

Message 14 of 18
schumaku
Guru

@Moussa854 wrote:

That's why it can't work - @RaghuHR the WAC510 UI needs to be enhanced so the admin can define his own DNS server IP addresses please!

Message 15 of 18
Moussa854
Aspirant

Is it something that I can do? or is it a Netgear thing?

Message 16 of 18
schumaku
Guru

Netgear thingie I'd say...

Message 17 of 18
Moussa854
Aspirant

Thank you,  schumaku. Appreciated.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors