× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: Uknown Error when configuring AC2000

Moez
Tutor

Uknown Error when configuring AC2000

First configuration of the AC2000 was not possible due to the "192.168.0.100 says Unknown Error" when connecting to the admin console. I am under the 1.0.4.4 firmware.

Thus device is connected to a DSL router thriugh RG45, and I am trying to set it up as an access point.

I tried with a Mac and a windows laptops, using different browsers, connecting to http://www.routerlogin.net , in a wired and wireless mode. I got teh same issues.

Could any one please help

Model: WAC124|AC2000 Dual Band 4x4
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
Moez
Tutor

Please note that I was able to configure it, but only being in a disconnected mode.

I still can access to the console only when it is not connected to the internet, therefore locally.

I  am always trying to be able to register it

thank you

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 11

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

With the WAC124 connected to a network with a DHCP server, the device will get an IP config assigned so it won't stay on the default IP address.

The routerlogin.net URL can only work while being connected to the WAC124 wireless connection and only for the initial set-up.

Check the router logs, DHCP server, connected devices, ... to locate the IP address assigned, and start with this ...

Message 2 of 11
Moez
Tutor

Thank you. I could not resolve this issue. Either I did not understand your answer, or the device itsels is not functionning as it should be.

I explain:

1: On my router, I see that the WAC124 is getting the following IP: 192.168.1.27. Being on my router's wifi network, I was not able to access the WAC124 console through http://192.168.1.27. the message " Your connection was interrupted, A network change was detected.

ERR_NETWORK_CHANGED "is displayed. (please see file atatched)

2: In the DHCP table, my router is recognizing a MAC address different from the one displayed in the sticker of the Netgear device : cc:40:d0:a0:38:dd versus cc:40:d0:a0:38:db. I can't explain why that

3: Back to the Netgear-1 wifi network, I always get the error message: "www.routerlogin.net says Unknown Error" when using my netgear account username. On thje Netgear-1 network, I can access the internet though. But I need teh console access

4: I am OK to open a webex or zoon session with any one who can help

thank you
Message 3 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Move your wireless computer (much) farer away from the WAC124 wireless reach, or make the computer to forget the Netgear-1 WLAN - your computer is changing from the router WLAN to the WAC124 WLAN before you can establish the connection successfully. Then try the LAN IP as shown again.

Alternate, use a network cable to connect the computer to the router LAN, and disable the computer Wireless interface for the configuration time.

A wireless AP with one Ethernet/LAN and two radio interfaces (2.4 and 5 GHz) has three hardware MAC addresses - nothing wrong with that. And even more when a VLAN with more SSIDs configured.

Message 4 of 11
Moez
Tutor

Dear schumaku

I really appreciate your help and patience.

But all what described did not work.

Few questions:

1: Can I access the WAC124 console through its DHCP Address gotten from the router? in other world http://192.168.1.xx?

I tried , nothing happened

2: I tried a connection to the 192.168.0.100 or routerlogin.net, with no success. Even when disavling the wifi. Could that be a problem from teh firmware itself? is there a "hidden" way to access the sustem for maitnenance?

3: Any one can help directly throgh zoom?

thanl you

PS/No answer when I mailed the support. Really amazing!

Message 5 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @Moez,

To answer your queries;

Can I access the WAC124 console through its DHCP Address gotten from the router? in other world http://192.168.1.xx? >>> Yes, you should be able to access the WAC124 on the IP address it has received from the DHCP router, but it depends on how you are connected to the network.

I tried a connection to the 192.168.0.100 or routerlogin.net, with no success. Even when disavling the wifi. Could that be a problem from teh firmware itself? is there a "hidden" way to access the sustem for maitnenance? >>> I think what might be happening here is you are connected to the main routers wifi or LAN and the WAC124 is connected to the router by its WAN port. The WAC124 is in router mode by default so it will essentially block any traffic coming through its WAN port. (i.e. any traffic coming from your main LAN into the WAC124 WAN port). 

What I recommend to do is;

1. Perform a factory reset on the WAC124: locate the reset pinhole on the back of the unit and press a paper clip in for approx 5 - 10 seconds. It will reboot and restore factory default settings when booted up.

2. If you have a laptop with Ethernet port, connect it to one of the LAN ports of the WAC124. In your browser navigate to http://www.routerlogin.net 
Login using NETGEAR SSO login and you can change the unit to work in AP only mode.

3. If you only have wifi devices, scan for wifi networks and look for SSID NETGEAR-1

Connect to the SSID with passphrase sharedsecret and in your browser navigate to http://www.routerlogin.net

Login using NETGEAR SSO login and you can change the unit to work in AP only mode.

All going well you should be able to connect to the WAC124 web gui and configure it as you wish.

If not, please reply with your support case number and I will check with support to contact you.

Kind regards

DavidGo

Message 6 of 11
Moez
Tutor

Hi

Unnfortunately, after resetting, it os the same behavior.

The WAC124 is connected to a Lan port of my router through its wan port.

I resetted my device, and re-entered the initial admin password, and the answers to the secret questions.

The Netgear router checjked then for a new formware and tried to check the internet connectivity.

I got the Netgear Business screen and I entered my netgear account (my gmail email).

After 10 to 15 seconds, I got the message "Unknown Error"

The issue is that I was not able to register this device in the mynetgear website, I got an error, and I am trying to resolve that in parallel. Therefore I cannot open a case with the support team.

I am loosing my days of free support!

I don't even have a phone number to call. The support email does not reply

Thank you all

Message 7 of 11
Moez
Tutor

Please note that I was able to configure it, but only being in a disconnected mode.

I still can access to the console only when it is not connected to the internet, therefore locally.

I  am always trying to be able to register it

thank you

Message 8 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Sorry for all the confusion - I always forget that the WAC124 is can kind of defaulting to router mode (and I've never deployed many of these). If logged in before, it's well possible it gors to router mode. Initially the WAC124 WAN port does indeed serve as a WAN port, the management can only be accessed on the WAC124 wireless or on a network cable connected computer direct to one of it's LAN ports. That's why my attempt guiding you failed no, it was simply worng, I assumed the installation process shown in the  NETGEAR AC2000 802.11ac Wireless Access Point/Router WAC124 Installation Guide was already finished. Sorry for that again.

On a new system, or following a factory reset you must use the wireless connection to the WAC124 on it's default wireless name and security settings as per the label. Then strictly follow the guide above for the set-up as an access point (on the second page!). Should you have not done a login, and the WAC124 is in router mode now, you can change this (as shown as #5) 

If you logged in before or the page does not display automatically, select
ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Wireless Access Point.

Message 9 of 11
Moez
Tutor

Thank you for the clarification

I am able to connect to the admin console but only if the WAC124 is in a disconnected mode (by unplugging the WAN cable), do I force it to login with asmin/password, rather that with my netgear account (my email).

Configuration went well.

I would be very happy to know why I am still unable to connect when it is wired to the router.

In any way, I really thank you for your efforts. I consolidated your ideas with others to be able to find a solution to my problem.

Thanl you, you are a great community

Message 10 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Ok, you had switched the WAC124 config from Router to Access Point/AP mode?

Once done, the WAC124 should be reachable from whie connected to the WAC124 as well as from your LAN (connected to the WAN port on the WAC124).

The only thing which does not work (a logical oddity) is using the named URL like http://www.routerlogin.net while connected to the WAC124 wireless.

I'm amazed how many issues your customers have @YeZ with this device.   

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements