× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: Unable to update WAC720 firmware

THarlin
Aspirant

Unable to update WAC720 firmware

Device is at firmware version 3.6.12, latest available is 3.8.3.  When I try to upgrade to that or other earlier versions I get "Firmware upgrade has failed. Please ensure that valid entries were specified in the required fields."  Why?

Model: WAC720|2x2 Wireless-AC Access Points
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Glad that you are able to figure out what the issue is. Please accept this as soultion if you are satisfied.

Thanks,

Raghu

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Thomas Smith

Welcome to the Netgear Community.  Could you please double check the following?  We would like to see what error you are seeing on the screen. Could you please paste the screen shot?

Thanks,

Raghu

Upgrade Procedure:

1. Using the Download Link below, download and extract the new firmware to a convenient place such as your desktop.
    The Firmware File name after extracting is WAC720_WAC730_V3.8.3.0.tar

Download Link: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WAC720/WAC720_WAC730_V3.8.3.0.zip
  2. Login to the AP web interface.
  3. Select Maintenance > Upgrade > Firmware Upgrade
  4. Click the Browse button and locate the image (.tar) upgrade file.
  5. Click the Apply button to initiate the upgrade process.
    During the upgrade process, the wireless access point automatically restarts. The upgrade process typically takes several minutes. When the Test LED turns off, wait a few more seconds before doing anything with the wireless access point.
Message 2 of 7
THarlin
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. But the error on my screen is exactly as stated in the original posting. If I were to take a screenshot it would add no additional information.

Message 3 of 7
THarlin
Aspirant

Also, perhaps I should mention that I have updated this unit's firmware successfully at least twice in the past.

Message 4 of 7
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

When you use wrong firmware or corrupted file then you can see such kind of error messages. Could you please retry downloading the latest from the web and give a try? Thanks, Raghu
Message 5 of 7
THarlin
Aspirant

Ok, I suddenly realized my mistake.  The upgrade instructions say "download ... the new firmware" and "locate the image (.tar) file."  Because it is really common for browsers (especially Safari) to save .tar files with a .zip extension, without thinking I simply renamed the .zip file to .tar.  Of course, that broke the upload process since the download file really is a .zip file and needs to be uncompressed first.  And the instructions do actually say "download and extract" in one place, so that should have been clear enough.

Thanks for your help, and sorry for the confusion.

Message 6 of 7
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Glad that you are able to figure out what the issue is. Please accept this as soultion if you are satisfied.

Thanks,

Raghu

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements