× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Unable to update WNDAP360 firmware to 3.6.9.0 (Security update)

Buzzhead
Aspirant

Unable to update WNDAP360 firmware to 3.6.9.0 (Security update)

Hi all,

I seem to be unable to update my AP's FW level from 3.5.5.0 to 3.6.9.0.I have a total of 5 to update.

I first tried updating through our WMS5316 controller. It took about 10 minutes before the browser interface returned, but they were still showing at 3.5.5.0.

I then tried updating one of the AP's directly, but same results. No apparent error, but after reboot, no upgrade. I tried updatng using IE, Firefox, and Chrome, but no joy.

Anyone else having problems with this firmware update, or able to offer suggestions? Since this is a security update I'm a bit worried.

Model: WNDAP360|ProSafe Wireless-N Access Point
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Buzzhead
Aspirant

Re: Unable to update WNDAP360 firmware to 3.6.9.0 (Security update)

Found the solution. It appears to be the browser used to perform the update. I found IE V11 was able to do the trick, whereas I had tried Firefox & Chrome previously with no success.

Although not technically correct, as I was unable to update the AP's from the controller interface, I was able to update them individually by logging in directly to the AP, disconnecting the controller session, and updating the firmware AP by AP. Disappointing that I had to circumvent the controller's update capabilities, but at least it worked!

Guess I can close this issue, just can't figure out how from the interface.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Buzzhead,

Welcome to the community!

It seems that you were trying to upgrade the firmware of the APs to the latest version. You need to update the firmware of the wireless controller as the AP are connected to it. The APs are not using their own firmware anymore as it is managed by the wireless controller. The firmware of the APs are used only if it is a standalone unit.

Regards,

Message 2 of 4
Buzzhead
Aspirant

Hi JohnCarloV,

Thanks for the suggestion, but perhaps you missed my first paragraph, where I had tried to update through the controller. The controller firmware (2.1.5 Build 1243) is different from the AP firmware which is 3.5.5.0, but both should certainly be upgraded through the controller. That's the problem, after the screen returned, the AP's were still at 3.5.5.0 instead of the desired 3.6.9.0.

Buzzhead

Message 3 of 4
Buzzhead
Aspirant

Found the solution. It appears to be the browser used to perform the update. I found IE V11 was able to do the trick, whereas I had tried Firefox & Chrome previously with no success.

Although not technically correct, as I was unable to update the AP's from the controller interface, I was able to update them individually by logging in directly to the AP, disconnecting the controller session, and updating the firmware AP by AP. Disappointing that I had to circumvent the controller's update capabilities, but at least it worked!

Guess I can close this issue, just can't figure out how from the interface.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements