× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: Unique Sitauation

SVL123
Initiate

Unique Sitauation

Hi all,

So i have what i think is a unique situation. I am tryng to get full wifi coverage throught my Chicken Shed. The shed is 300ft (91m) x 60ft (18m). It is clad in metal with a metal roof.

I currently have a basic router (Gamma) which delivers WIFI signal to about 90ft, c.1/3 of the way down the shed. I am trying to either boost the signal with a range extender, a mesh network, antenna or a new router. 

There are however a few more things to consider. I can install a power socket in the shed if necessary but dont currently have any. I do not have any ethernet connection inside the shed, ony outside where the current router is located. The sheds also go through an extreme cleaning process every 40days (pressure washers etc), so needs to be housed in a waterproof box (potentially limiting the range further), and as mentioned, the walls and roof are metal so any external devices would need to be able to penetrate this.

If anyone could reccomend any suitable products or offer any advice at all i would be most grateful.

Thank you,

S

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

That size isn't unreasonable to cover with one device. but you'd want it in the shed and centrally located. 

If you've already got a router outside the shed, you could get an outdoor rated access point that runs of POE (power over ethernet).

Simply run an ethernet cable to the AP (you'd add a power injector to power it by the primary router). 

The WAX610Y is a outdoor rated, POE access point. 

https://www.netgear.com/business/wifi/access-points/wax610y/

Message 2 of 5
SVL123
Initiate

Hi Plemans,

Thank you for the quick response. This seems like it could be an ideal solution. I will look into it further from the links you posted and post an update if and when i sove the problem.

Thank you for your help in this.

S

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

Probably cheaper and easier to run an ethernet cable than trying to install a power box. 

Hope it works for you

Message 4 of 5
schumaku
Guru

A PoE+ (802.3at!) can be installed outside, so only the network cable needs to go to the middle of the shed so there will be low power only.

Depending on the area you are located eg. ref. the amount of thunderstorms, some Gigabit and PoE+ capable surge protection device with a good grounding might be advised. Don't want to hear from grilled chicken ex. factory aehm shack!

Keep in mind these outdoor access points can take some rain or snow, but no high-pressure cleaning. Probably any normal office rated PoE+ unit like a WAX610 installed in a Wireless Access Point Enclosure w. NEMA 4 or higher protection class should be considered.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements