Using WAC510 as router and as repeaters

PeterPC
Aspirant

Using WAC510 as router and as repeaters

https://www.netgear.com/business/products/wireless/business-wireless/WAC510.aspx

Pre-purchase question:  I have a customer needing to cover large area with WiFi.  WAC 510 looks like best choice.  The marketing materials imply it can be used as a router in standalone OR as AP's for multiple units to extend range, indicating that it cannot do both. 

I will deploy these as a open WiFi (no password / public use, but this is in a place that general public are not present) using a DMZ/transparent port of the SonicWall (with its own static WAN IP address from ISP).  So I will need a router/DHCP server. 

Thus the question:

Can one unit be the router+WiFi, and then additional units be placed remotely to extend range - as repeaters?  Is that supported?

Thank you,  Peter

Message 1 of 5
PeterPC
Aspirant

Re: Using WAC510 as router and as repeaters

I suppose I should get clarification of the definition of "repeater."  Does the repeater mode mean:

1. Range extension by receiving the wireless signal from the router and/or other repeaters and effectively amplify that signal for increased coverage.   Thus the only wire connection is for electrical power.

2.  Range extension by hardwire from a switch that the originating AP (+ router) is connected, to each remote AP.  Thus requiring power and a CAT5 cable connected from its WAN port to a switch (or to the single LAN port of a WAC510 if only one repeater needed and not using POE--or if daisy chaining 510's).

3. Either/both.

Thank you

Message 2 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi PeterPC,

Welcome to the community! Smiley Happy 

Based from the WAC510 user manual here, if the WAC510 is configured as Router Mode, you can still set up a wireless network as well as add a DHCP server for WiFi clients.  Repeater function is only supported in AP mode not in Router Mode. 

If the WAC510 is set as repeater, it is connected wirelessly to another WAC510 that is set as base station.  The WAC510 that is set as repeater should be within the coverage area of the base station.  

Refer to the figure below:

From the figure above,  there are 2 WAC510.  The first WAC510 (left) is configured as Base Station and the second WAC510 (right) is configured as Repeater.  In order to power up both WAC510, a power adapter is required.  The first WAC510 is connected to a firewall router that does not support WiFi.  Point-to-Point Wireless Bridging should be configured to connect the first and second WAC510.

Kindly read pages 57-60 of the WAC510 user manual here about Setting Up a WiFi Bridge Between Access Points. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team 

Message 3 of 5
PeterPC
Aspirant

I'm afraid this is still not clear:  Allow me to propose some statements that are clear, and I assume are true:

"The WAC510 can be set as a Router instead of AP, but in this mode it can not do Bridging and thus the network cannot be expanded by use of additional WAC510's as repeaters."  A statement of this nature would be needed in page 85 of the manual.

"In order to expand WiFi coverage using more than one WAC510 and Bridging from a base station to repeaters, you must have a separate device doing routing since all of the WAC510's must be in AP mode."  A statement of this nature would be needed in page 57 of the manual.

There is a possiblity of expansion by connecting the LAN port of the routing WAC510 by wire to the WAN port of a second WAC510 (in AP mode) and use that as a base station, then bridge/expand from it.  But the manual states only that PC/switches can be connected to the LAN port.

Message 4 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Moderator

@PeterPC,

Thanks for the feedback.  I agree with your proposed statements.  You may post your proposed statements as a revision to the WAC510 user manual on the Idea Exchange for Business board here.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team 

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements