× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Using WAX202 as Router

brich123
Aspirant

Using WAX202 as Router

Is there a simple way to utilize the WAX202 as a router? I have a modem that works fine (arris).  I don't do much outside of homework (there is some data analysis) and movies via internet. 

Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Re: Using WAX202 as Router

Yes, of course. The fine WiFi 6 AX1800/AX3200 Dual Band Wireless Access Points, WAX202 and WAX206 User Manual does mention it:

Router mode: The AP functions as both a lightweight router and WiFi 6 access point,
and can support LAN clients through its LAN ports. Because the AP is connected to
your modem, the AP receives its IP address settings from your Internet service
provider (ISP). The AP delivers IP address settings to its clients so that Internet access
is provided.
If you want to use router mode, follow the initial log-in process as described in
Connect the AP to a modem and log in for the first time on page 32.

Message 2 of 4
brich123
Aspirant

I will try this. Also, when I connected it to the modem there was nothing happening with the internet light.  I am thinking it is supposed to be connected directly into the LAN line.... 

Nothing beats a failure but a try.... I will keep at it. I hate returning items.  

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@brich123 wrote:

So I do not have an seperate router. The question was can I use the AP as a router instead even if I DO NOT have a seperate router. 

The WAX202 can serve as a simple NAT router as per the fine manual.  https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WAX202/WAX202_WAX206_UM_EN.pdf marked as "Router Mode" btw. One WAN port (for your cable modem) plus three LAN ports (for the second WAX202 plus some switch is required).

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements