× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: VLAN over wifi

Paluss
Aspirant

VLAN over wifi

Hello everybody, trying to fix my network implementing VLANs over wifi with a managed switch and 2 wifi AP in MESH. I tried everything in the forum but nothing seems to work for me.
I want to use one SSID with the native VLAN and another SSID with a different VLAN. It seems that the second VLAN is not passed to the SSID even if the VLAN ID is set in the LAN configuration.
The DHCP server is a PfSense mini-pc and it’s working if I connect over Ethernet but not over wifi.

Any idea?

Thanks
Message 1 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Completely confused.

"VLANs over wifi" ,,, there are no VLANs on Wi-Fi, except you operate some wireless backhaul between two APs carrying untagged and tagged over a wireless connection..

"2 wifi AP in MESH" tell us more about the exact network design. Two APs connected to the switch with the appropriate VLAN config in place for both APs?

@Paluss wrote:
I want to use one SSID with the native VLAN and another SSID with a different VLAN. It seems that the second VLAN is not passed to the SSID even if the VLAN ID is set in the LAN configuration.

How is the port configured which does connect the AP with it's two SSIDs?

@Paluss wrote:
The DHCP server is a PfSense mini-pc and it’s working if I connect over Ethernet but not over wifi.

How is respectively are these DHCP server(s) configured for the two VLANs?

Have defined two networks, with an access port for each of the networks e.g. configured as VLAN 1 untagged plus PVID 1 for the first VLAN, and one configured as VLAN 1234 and PVID 1234 as test ports for each network and each subnet? is the trunk port for the DHCP server system connection configured similar?

Message 2 of 3
Paluss
Aspirant

@schumaku wrote:

"2 wifi AP in MESH" tell us more about the exact network design. Two APs connected to the switch with the appropriate VLAN config in place for both APs?

I have 1 mini-pc as PfSense with 1 WAN interface, taking internet from the router, and 1 LAN interface, going into the switch.

The switch is connected to the wifi AP, and the wifi AP (root) is connected to the other wifi AP (client) in mesh. They have 2 SSID, one is associated with VLAN 1 (native) and the other SSID with VLAN XX.

I'm trying to understand how to configure the switch port where the AP is connected. I'd like to have VLAN 1 (native) and VLAN XX going into the AP. 

Pfsense has the VLAN configured and working with a DHCP server. Tested with wired connection, eveything is working fine, but if I connect wifi with the SSID associated with VLAN XX, I'm not able to obtain the right network address, I'm still getting the same natwork address of VLAN 1.

@schumaku Thanks for your time 🙂

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements