× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Very large home; Considering (2) AC3000 routers at each end, both connected with CAT6. Thoughts?

dheerema
Aspirant

Very large home; Considering (2) AC3000 routers at each end, both connected with CAT6. Thoughts?

I need to set up wifi in a very large house that is already wired with ethernet.  Considering getting two exact same AC 3000 routers, and setting one up as an AP.  

To extend into the yard, aslo considering a range extender at the rear door.

Question: 

Will I be able to have the same SSID, or does it need to be 2 networks?

Will the range extender work proplerly in that application?

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Very large home; Considering (2) AC3000 routers at each end, both connected with CAT6. Thoughts?

Hello dheerema, 

Welcome to the community! 

If the networks are not going to overlap, I think its fine. If you are looking to create roaming wireless (single SSID, seamless connection within areas covered by the APs) what you need is a wireless controller (ex. WC750) and a few APs  like the WNDAP360, WNDAP350 or WNDAP660. This will let you have a seamless wireless network with only a single SSID all over the area and the best part is a much easier management on all APs. You can also choose APs with ensemble functionality (WAC720, WAC730), basically the same conceprt as using a wireless controller but eliminating the wireless controller itself, so this is much cheaper. 

Let us know if you have more questions. 

Thanks, 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Very large home; Considering (2) AC3000 routers at each end, both connected with CAT6. Thoughts?

Hello dheerema, 

Welcome to the community! 

If the networks are not going to overlap, I think its fine. If you are looking to create roaming wireless (single SSID, seamless connection within areas covered by the APs) what you need is a wireless controller (ex. WC750) and a few APs  like the WNDAP360, WNDAP350 or WNDAP660. This will let you have a seamless wireless network with only a single SSID all over the area and the best part is a much easier management on all APs. You can also choose APs with ensemble functionality (WAC720, WAC730), basically the same conceprt as using a wireless controller but eliminating the wireless controller itself, so this is much cheaper. 

Let us know if you have more questions. 

Thanks, 

Message 2 of 4
dheerema
Aspirant

Thank you for your helpful response.

Are there any considerations for the ensamble setup?  Any drawbacks?

Also, Would I be able to set up a guest network with that business class AP?

Message 3 of 4
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi dheerema, 

When  on ensemble mode, you have a centralized management for about 10 access points without needing a wireless controller, licenses, and extra support fees. The only drawback I can think of is, you can only use the models with ensemble WAC720 and WAC730 because other models may not support this yet. Another one is there is no guest network, but it is already broadcasting two SSIDs, one for 11ng network and the other is for the 11ac. So my advice is to use the 11ac for the main users and the 11ng for the guests. 🙂 

I hope this answers your questions. 

Thanks, 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements