× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

WAC 510 - Clients Connect to Local Wifi But Not To Internet

coljediv
Aspirant

WAC 510 - Clients Connect to Local Wifi But Not To Internet

I have been learning as I go with my two new WAC 510.  At first I was using the Management Mode PC-Local Browser, with multiple SSID and was trying to use ACL, first by typing the allowed MAC and then later by adding the allowed MACs to a text file and importing it.  After much frustration with the Web UI concerning settings not being maintained and the ACL groups not showing up in the SSID page drop-down list, I gave up and transitioned to the Insight Management App.

So, to cut to the chase, all the devices I established before the transition seem to be working fine locally and connecting to the network.  But this AM my daughter arrived with her iPhone and laptop.  I management to get them connected to the local Wifi OK, but neither device connects to the network.  There are four SSIDs and her devices are connected to one of them.  They are basically identical, but with different passwords.  ACL is not turned on in the app.

What's with the internet not being available to those two new devices?

Model: WAC510|Insight Managed Smart Cloud Wireless Access Point
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
coljediv
Aspirant

Re: WAC 510 - Clients Connect to Local Wifi But Not To Internet

I solved the problem.  The WAC510s are wired to an R8000 X6 router.  The router has an access list.  To reach the internet or probably anything else on the router, the client device needs to be in the router ACL.  Since I am transitioning slowly from the router to the WAPs, I need to maintain both systems.  Thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi,

Welcome to Netgear Community.

Can you please share client details(model name, os version?), router(where dhcp is running) and distance from WAC510 AP you are trying? These details might help us to recreate the issue in our lab.

Also please try below experiments to see if issue disappears.

- Check if clients are getting IP address after connection(If no IP, you may need to check dhcp server).

- Try moving little closer to AP and see if issue still exists?

Thanks.

Sharan

Message 2 of 6
coljediv
Aspirant

Prelim answer. Devices received IP. 8 feet from WAP. IPhone 7 11.1.2. Laptop Win 7. Router R8000 up to date.
Message 3 of 6
coljediv
Aspirant

Is it possible the whack 510 retain the ACL settings from before the transition to the app?
Message 4 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

No, all the configuration including ACL settings would be lost when you move to Insight mode.

Message 5 of 6
coljediv
Aspirant

I solved the problem.  The WAC510s are wired to an R8000 X6 router.  The router has an access list.  To reach the internet or probably anything else on the router, the client device needs to be in the router ACL.  Since I am transitioning slowly from the router to the WAPs, I need to maintain both systems.  Thanks for your help.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements