× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: WAC-510 VLAN to SSID Association on CIsco RV325

Vectro
Aspirant

WAC-510 VLAN to SSID Association on CIsco RV325

I had been using Cisco APs until I found that a lot of them have a throughput problem. WAC-510 has better throughput and clustering works well for me. Only trouble I've had with it is getting different SSIDs associated with VLAN ID numbers on the Cisco router.

Here is the configuration:

Cisco RV325 Router

VLAN 1 - Default

VLAN 25 - Guest

VLAN 100 - Voice
VLAN 5 - Windows

VLAN 6 - Linux

WAC-510 Access Point

SSID 1 (Windows) --> VLAN 5

SSID 2 (Linux) --> VLAN 6

AP LAN Config

DHCP

Untagged VLAN 1

Management VLAN 1

Under that setup, the Windows SSID has Internet but the Linux SSID has no Internet. When I swap the WAC-510 with a Cisco AP, the different SSIDs both have Internet.

If I set the AP LAN config to static IP and uncheck the 8021.Q option (Untagged VLAN), then I become unable to reach the AP Login page on the static IP. Then I end up having to reset the AP to default setting.

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
nmhTester
NETGEAR Expert

WAC5xx (WAC510, 505, 540...) all support VLAN<-->SSID mapping.

Most of the time, when we debug clients not getting DHCP. it  will normally be due to some conf error upstream.

Coming to your network :

Router==TrunkPort(1,25,100,5,6)====Switch====TrunkPort(1,5,6) === AP ~~~SSID1-VLAN5~~~ Client

Can you check if the DHCP request packets are reaching your router

You can capture packets on the AP, download it to your PC and check the VLAN mapping of DHCP packets.

sameway you can port mirror switch/router and check on that too.

We need to see, if your router did get a DHCP request packet from client and responded. the switch has to tag the response back and send it to AP. then AP will be able deliver it back to the right client on the right SSID.

other basic things:

make sure WAC510 is connected to WAN/PoE ports.

WAC510 is in AP mode.

Cisco RV325 Router

VLAN 1 - Default

VLAN 25 - Guest

VLAN 100 - Voice
VLAN 5 - Windows

VLAN 6 - Linux

WAC-510 Access Point

AP LAN Config

DHCP

Untagged VLAN 1

Management VLAN 1

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 11

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Assuming all the VLANs are 802.1Q and taged - except of the default VLAN - the WAC510 config looks OK to me.

@Vectro wrote:

If I set the AP LAN config to static IP and uncheck the 8021.Q option (Untagged VLAN), then I become unable to reach the AP Login page on the static IP. Then I end up having to reset the AP to default setting.

This will re-configure the management VLAN ID for no longer accepting untagged frames and sending tagged frames. Have the default VLAN ID 1 set here? 

When I have it right, the RV325 does run the default VLAN 1 untagged - that's why you loose the management access.

Message 2 of 11
Vectro
Aspirant

@schumaku wrote:

Assuming all the VLANs are 802.1Q and taged - except of the default VLAN - the WAC510 config looks OK to me.

@Vectro wrote:

This will re-configure the management VLAN ID for no longer accepting untagged frames and sending tagged frames. Have the default VLAN ID 1 set here? 

When I have it right, the RV325 does run the default VLAN 1 untagged - that's why you loose the management access.

To your first point, yes, all of the VLANs are tagged except the default. I've also included a screenshot of the VLAN configuration. The WAC510 is plugged into LAN 5. Still, the SSID with VLAN 6 (Linux) has no Internet.

To your second point, do the AP LAN settings affect the Wi-Fi tagging, or is this part just for management?

Message 3 of 11
schumaku
Guru

@Vectro wrote:

To your second point, do the AP LAN settings affect the Wi-Fi tagging, or is this part just for management?

That's just for the explicitly listed management VLAN. The SSID<->VLAN association does make use of tagging regardless of that setting. 

Message 4 of 11
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

@Vectro  Please send me your AP configuration via PM to me if you are still facing the issue. You can upload AP configuration into google drive and send me a link to download.

Thanks,

Raghu

Message 5 of 11
Vectro
Aspirant

Thanks both of you for getting back to me.

I've attached my AP config. I made a mistake in my last post. I actually had The Windows SSID on VLAN 1 by mistake. When I set it to VLAN 5 (where it's supposed to be), it doesn't have Internet, either. That still tells us something, only VLAN 1 gets Internet on the WAC510. On the client device, both SSIDs fail with the error "Unable to obtain IP address". Again, works fine with a Cisco AP.

Message 6 of 11
Vectro
Aspirant

Another screenshot of AP config continued from last post.

Message 7 of 11
schumaku
Guru

WAC SSID-VAN config looks OK - works like this in many instances for us. Strange....

Message 8 of 11
nmhTester
NETGEAR Expert

WAC5xx (WAC510, 505, 540...) all support VLAN<-->SSID mapping.

Most of the time, when we debug clients not getting DHCP. it  will normally be due to some conf error upstream.

Coming to your network :

Router==TrunkPort(1,25,100,5,6)====Switch====TrunkPort(1,5,6) === AP ~~~SSID1-VLAN5~~~ Client

Can you check if the DHCP request packets are reaching your router

You can capture packets on the AP, download it to your PC and check the VLAN mapping of DHCP packets.

sameway you can port mirror switch/router and check on that too.

We need to see, if your router did get a DHCP request packet from client and responded. the switch has to tag the response back and send it to AP. then AP will be able deliver it back to the right client on the right SSID.

other basic things:

make sure WAC510 is connected to WAN/PoE ports.

WAC510 is in AP mode.

Cisco RV325 Router

VLAN 1 - Default

VLAN 25 - Guest

VLAN 100 - Voice
VLAN 5 - Windows

VLAN 6 - Linux

WAC-510 Access Point

AP LAN Config

DHCP

Untagged VLAN 1

Management VLAN 1

Message 9 of 11
Vectro
Aspirant

@nmhTester
It was the Ethernet port! I switched the wire from the LAN to the WAN port and Internet works on both segments!
Message 10 of 11
schumaku
Guru

@Vectro

The fine WAC510 documentation does say on p.138: 

===

Change the system mode to Router mode or AP mode
The access point can function in one of the following system modes:

• AP. Select the AP radio button to let the access point function with its router
    functionality disabled. This is the default setting. When the access point is in AP
    mode, connect the WAN PoE port of the access point to your network.,

===

Happy that you discovered the cabling issue - enjoy!

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements