× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: WAC 730 and Ensemble Mode, cannot join third AP when without LAN Connection

minetpro
Aspirant

WAC 730 and Ensemble Mode, cannot join third AP when without LAN Connection

Hello there, I'm thinking of someone having the same Problem as we have. I shortly explain the Situation: We own a Internet Router which is connected to a netgear Poe-Switch. On the Poe Switch 2 LAN Cables connect two of the 730 WAC, which are in Ensemble Mode. The third WAC730 does not have a Lan Cabling but we configured it with LAn-Cabling into the Ensemble mode. Everything fine up to here. When we disconnect the third WAC730 from LAN, only has the WLAN Connection instead, it disappeares from the Ensemble. Priority and Security Ensemble Key are all correct. What is going wrong here ?

Model: WAC730|3x3 Wireless-AC Access Points
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

@RaghuHR wrote:

Bridging is another soultion can provide you extension your network to different floor or building.

This is what was configured in my understanding, as there is no Extender mode on the WAC730. I don't thingk the OP was so blue-eyed that it works without a configured wireless bridge. But then we're at the same point - in my L2 understanding, the wireless bridge would make another segment, like the LAN segment on the detached WAC wold create a third L2 segment. 

Do you expect that multiple WAC730 in wired and bridged config would allow to operate as a single Ensemble?

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 13

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

So the point is if a WAC 730 can be member of an Ensemble if connected as a wireless bridge? I fear this is not possible, because of the wireless bridge does form it's own bridged segment - see the WAC720/730 User Manual p.87 ff:

===

Set Up, Manage, and Monitor Ensembles
 An ensemble can be formed between two more APs if the following conditions are met:

. • The APs are connected on the same bridged segment.
===

Wish I would be wrong ... @RaghuHR?

Message 2 of 13
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

@minetpro We need your all three APs configurations to verify. Also help us with your network diagram. You can IM me your APs configurations.

Thanks,

Raghu

Message 3 of 13
minetpro
Aspirant

@RaghuHR, Thank you, here you will get the configurations including a schematic Diagramm
Message 4 of 13
minetpro
Aspirant

@RaghuHR, another one

Message 5 of 13
minetpro
Aspirant

@schumaku thank you for your Reply this would mean we cannot "Ensemble" the three AP's with the Router (i.e. Fritzbox 6490 ). So this would only be possible with a netgear WLAN Controller ?
Message 6 of 13
schumaku
Guru

@minetpro wrote:
@schumaku thank you for your Reply this would mean we cannot "Ensemble" the three AP's with the Router (i.e. Fritzbox 6490 ). So this would only be possible with a netgear WLAN Controller ?

Huh, where did I said anything about a controller? 

There can be no Ensemble with the router, the Ensemble can just span multiple WAC730 (same model), and just on the very same bridge segment what can be the the switched LAN of the Fritzbox of course, too.

In my networking world (and I can be wrong) the switched LAN and the wireless bridge make up two different segments. That's the point. Let's see if @RaghuHR will confirm that it should be possible to operate the Ensemble with the non-hardwired WAC 730.

What hit my eyes - is it possible the WAC 730 firmware is slightly aged? Consider an update.

Message 7 of 13
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Thanks @minetpro for sharing your network diagram. Ensemble works if all APs are connected and reachable. If you remove a cable of 3rd AP then it will loose the connectivity to the rest of the APs. Ensemble works when all APs are connected via in the same LAN segment.

So in your case you are removing the LAN cable and obviously third AP will not be part of ensemble. Only those two APs will be in ensemble mode.  This is expected behaviour.

Thanks,

Raghu

Message 8 of 13
minetpro
Aspirant

thank you for your answers,

ok, I understand. So do you both think there is no way to bring the third WAC 730 into the Ensemble Mode ( even not with bridging ). We implemented this solution for a customer with a hotel. In the base floor there ist the Fritzbox, in the first and second floor there are the two 'cabled" WAC's in Ensemble Mode. Fritzbox and WAC's with the same SSID. In the last floor we have no lan-cabling possibility. Maybe a solution with the bridging options ?

Message 9 of 13
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

yes @minetpro you can not have your third AP in ensemble mode without having LAN connected.  Bridging is another soultion can provide you extension your network to different floor or building.  Refer page 132

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WAC720/WAC720_730_UM_EN.pdf

Thanks,

Raghu

Message 10 of 13
schumaku
Guru

Afraid, I don't know the details on the Ensemble implementation, by conclusion came just from reading the docs.

Here again - there is no other (better, performing, reliable, ....) way than review the options for installing a cable. Think about a really thin CAT5A cable, there are always ways to deal with it. Find a good electrical wire installation company.

Message 11 of 13
schumaku
Guru

@RaghuHR wrote:

Bridging is another soultion can provide you extension your network to different floor or building.

This is what was configured in my understanding, as there is no Extender mode on the WAC730. I don't thingk the OP was so blue-eyed that it works without a configured wireless bridge. But then we're at the same point - in my L2 understanding, the wireless bridge would make another segment, like the LAN segment on the detached WAC wold create a third L2 segment. 

Do you expect that multiple WAC730 in wired and bridged config would allow to operate as a single Ensemble?

Message 12 of 13
minetpro
Aspirant

thanx @schumaku and @Raghu for your answers. We will try to get another cable up there to get this working. If anything other works I will post it here.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements