× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: WAC104 setup as extension of CenturyLink C3000z router

Seattle98116
Follower

WAC104 setup as extension of CenturyLink C3000z router

I have a CenturyLink C3000z router with it's own built in wifi. Router located in the basement and I have CAT5 from there to upper floor in house, where the C3000z wifi signal is weak (too much wood and steel). I want to use the WAC104 as a wired "remote antenna" (I'm using these words intentionally to avoid "repeater" and "extender" that have specific meanings I don't understand and I don't want to confuse things). 

Primary goal: ubiquitous, strong, single wifi network in house across 3 floors: so that laptops, TVs, door bells, smart speakers, printers, mobile devices all share printer and screen mirroring resources. 

Secondary goal: squeeze as much speed out of the ethernet from router to my third floor WAC104 to a bandwidth intensive desktop.  C3000z -> CAT5 -> WAC104 -> CAT5 -> Desktop.

I'm a dummy. How do I do this?

C3000z IP: 192.168.0.1 / DHCP Srv=Yes / SSID: <name1> / Pswd: <Z> / 5Ghz: Channels: X, Y

WAC104 IP: ???? / SSID: <name1?> / Pswd: <Z> /  5Ghz: <not Channels X,Y>

Is the above correct?

What other WAC104 settings do I need to change from Out of the Box?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 2
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: WAC104 setup as extension of CenturyLink C3000z router

@Seattle98116,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

WAC104 is just an access point that will extend your WiFi signal to the dead spots on your house. As long as you configured the WiFi SSID properly, then it should work just fine. I suggest leaving the channels on "Auto" so that it will provide you the strongest signal.

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements