× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: WAC124 - Empty Response / Resource Validation Error

PureLoneWolf
Tutor

WAC124 - Empty Response / Access Token Invalid / Resource Validation Error

Hi all

Basically, no matter what I do, I cannot get into either of my WAC124 devices to change anything.  Fortunately, right now, they are working...but if I have to change anything then I am screwed.

I was getting Resource Validation Error everytime I tried to login.  I assume that there may be some Chrome Plugin causing an issue, as an Incognito window allowed me to login.  However, once I give it the validation code, I get the Empty Response error with a blank page and a reload button.

I have tried Chrome, IE11, Old Edge, New Edge, Firefox, Mobile Chrome, Samsung Browser, Mobile Firefox.  2 different computers, 2 different mobile phones and my girlfriends iPad.

I did hope that the Insight app might let me configure them...which would have been acceptable, but that just links me to the web interface and SSO nonsense.

I saw a post that suggested changing my password, which I attempted on the my netgear site - That just gave me the Access Token Invalid response.

Both of the WAC124 devices are in AP mode (if that makes any difference), which means my only chance to get in is to disconnect their internet and login locally (which generally works fine by the way). 

Seeing as there is no way to force a local login without disconnecting the internet, meaning balancing precariously with my laptop in hand to configure them due to their positioning, I figured I would ask here before I find myself forced to replace them I guess.  Such a shame, great product when they work properly.

Would anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

Model: WAC124|AC2000 Dual Band 4x4
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Ronbo2598
Initiate

The problem is being caused by a recent change in Two-Factor Authentication at Negear. If you turn off 2FA on your Netgear Account (I did so on the Insight app), you can access the WAC124's just as you could before. Oddly, I've had 2FA enables on my pair of WAC124's for some time without an issue. I recently needed to login to them and ran into the same issue.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 10

All Replies
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Re: WAC124 - Empty Response / Access Token Invalid / Resource Validation Error

@PureLoneWolf  are you saying you are not able to local UI  but you can login via Incognito window ?

Can you share the screen shot for Access Token Invalid response?

I see these are two issues that you are facing currently.  Please confirm if anything else.

Alternatively you can check by disabling two-factor authentication.

Thanks,

Raghu

Message 2 of 10
PureLoneWolf
Tutor

Re: WAC124 - Empty Response / Access Token Invalid / Resource Validation Error

Hi

Just to clarify:

Incognito is required to allow me to login via Chrome.  The other browsers/devices don't have the same plugins etc all setup - So I suspect my Chrome has a plugin causing an issue there.

Without Incognito on Chrome I can't even login (Resource Validation Error)

With Incognito on Chrome (or non-incognito on other devices/browsers) I can login, verify 2FA with the code sent to my phone, but then I get the blank page with ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE and a reload button.

If I disconnect the internet from the device and login with local admin, it works OK.

Firmware is 1.0.4.4 on both devices, I realise I didn't mention that before.

Message 3 of 10
PureLoneWolf
Tutor

Almost forgot - I did a complete cache clear on my browser, which fixed the Access Token issue when trying to change my password.

Changing my password did not help the SSO issue however.

Message 4 of 10
Ronbo2598
Initiate

The problem is being caused by a recent change in Two-Factor Authentication at Negear. If you turn off 2FA on your Netgear Account (I did so on the Insight app), you can access the WAC124's just as you could before. Oddly, I've had 2FA enables on my pair of WAC124's for some time without an issue. I recently needed to login to them and ran into the same issue.

Message 5 of 10
CarlCresswell
Initiate

Just wasted a lot of time trying to work out what was going on here as I had run into the same issue on my 2 APs also.  2FA is heavily pushed by Netgear for obvious reasons so it is pretty disappointing that this has been broken.  When can we expect an update which fixes this problem?

Model: WAC124|AC2000 Dual Band 4x4
Message 6 of 10
schumaku
Guru

@RaghuHR please - now where your community member has discovered the relation to 2FA ....

Message 7 of 10
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @CarlCresswell  @Ronbo2598 Could you please share the screen shot of the error message that you are seeing?

Thanks,

Raghu

Message 8 of 10
PureLoneWolf
Tutor

Thanks for that - I enabled 2FA from day 1, so I hadn't considered disabling it...:)

@RaghuHR Will you be able to pass the 2FA issue up the chain?  The moment I disabled 2FA on my account, logging into the devices instantly worked.

It goes without saying that, in these days of data breaches and haveibeenpwned.com being necessary...2FA working correctly is most definitely an important facet of any massive organisation insisting on cloud logins for local devices...wouldn't you agree?

Many thanks

Message 9 of 10
Ronbo2598
Initiate

I can explain the behavior when 2FA is enabled:

1) On a previuolsy "trusted browser" - At the login screen, after entering your credenatials the response is a red banner at the top of the browser that says "Resource Allocation Error" and then you are stuck at the login screen.

2) On a new browser - You enter your credentials and then you are asked to enter the 6-digit 2FA code. You receive the code as expcted and then you enter it. You are taken to a screen that asks if you want to "Trust" or "Don't Trust" this computer. If you click "Trust", nothing happens and you are stiuck on that screen. If you click "Don't Trust", you go to an error screen that looks like you've been disconnected from the NETGEAR server. In either case, you cannot login.

Disabling 2FA corrects both cases above.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements