× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

WAC124 Netgear Account

DaveLister
Tutor

WAC124 Netgear Account

Need a way to access this device without a Netgear account. Currently I'm forced to reboot the cable modem to knock the down the internet site wide to get local access to the WAC124. Othewise it wants me to logon to a Netgear account to allow access to setup. How do you disable the Netgear logon and go directly to the router?

Model: WAC124|AC2000 Dual Band 4x4
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
DaveLister
Tutor

Re: WAC124 Netgear Account

Yes. It gives any Netgear engineer web access to this device. Also allows monitoring of network traffic. God only knows what else.

Found a solution.

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2021/03-04-2021-r45891/netgear-wac124/

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@DaveLister wrote:

Need a way to access this device without a Netgear account.--- Othewise it wants me to logon to a Netgear account to allow access to setup.

An specific problem with this feature?

You can't disable the cloud login on the AP.

A possible workaround is to block the Internet access for the WAC124 on your router - then it will fall back to the local login. 

Message 2 of 8
DaveLister
Tutor

Yes. It gives any Netgear engineer web access to this device. Also allows monitoring of network traffic. God only knows what else.

Found a solution.

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2021/03-04-2021-r45891/netgear-wac124/

Message 3 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@DaveLister wrote:

None of it. Just because the authentication happens on the cloud it's still only one identity having access. Just conspiracy theories...

Message 4 of 8
DaveLister
Tutor

How does Netgear restore your administration password if forgotten as the manual states? Either they have the password or the ability to reset the password. Both are bad.

Message 5 of 8
schumaku
Guru

This is an area where commodity is weighted higher than whatever security policies on these Essential Wireless Access Point models.

Again no, Netgear does not have your device local admin password - it's coming from the device itself after answering the hopefully well-thought recovery questions.

Message 6 of 8
DaveLister
Tutor

It's a moot point as corporate has directed I remove the device because transmitting IT activity to outside entities is a violation of our security policy. This device was deemed incompatible with the sarbanes oxley act.

Message 7 of 8
techupdate0
Tutor

@DaveLister wrote:

Need a way to access this device without a Netgear account. Currently I'm forced to reboot the cable modem to knock the down the internet site wide to get local access to the WAC124. Othewise it wants me to logon to a Netgear Northell account to allow access to setup. How do you disable the Netgear logon and go directly to the router?

Hi,

If you doun't could you please let me know what is the best way to get rid from this issue?

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements