× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: WAC124 access point, Europe area, no channel 1 @ 2.4 GHz

network-wonk
Guide

WAC124 access point, Europe area, no channel 1 @ 2.4 GHz

As subject really ... I have three of these access points to provide good coverage over my house, garden and worksop. The placements that I have used give me good signal streangth in all the areas I want which is good 🙂

Unfortunately the channel selection dialogue for 2.4GH only lists channels 3 -> 11. The standard way of setting up three access points is to use channels 1, 6 and 11 to remove x-channel interference ... but I don't have a channel 1 😞 Channel 1 is legal to use in Europe, so why can't I select it ?

Aybody know why, or any workarounds ?

-- NW

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

I don't have that device to test with or I'd try myself. (plus ours get region locked) Just makes me curious if its a EU thing with the 20/40hz wide option since it works fine when set to the NA region. 

If you set your 2.4ghz speeds for "up to 145mbps" it should drop it to 20hz wide. The up to 300mbps is the 40hz wide. 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10

All Replies
plemans
Guru

All of them give you the same problem? 

What does it show when you go to change the channels? 

What region is it set in? 

What firmware is on the AP's?

Message 2 of 10
plemans
Guru

Also, do you have your channels set at 40hz wide? 20? or 20/40 mix?
Message 3 of 10
network-wonk
Guide

All three were flashed to 1.0.4.7, the latest listed on the Netgear web site. I think that the problem was exactly the same under the firmware that the units came with which was 1.0.4.4.

All three behave *exactly* the same

Region set to Europe

As I said, when I try to set a channel, I see a drop down dialog, which lists 'Auto', then channel numbers 3 -> 11

If I set the Region to US, I get a different set of channels I can use, which include 1 -> 11 on 2.4 GHz, but with a much reduced set for 5 GHz. After the trial I set the Region back to Europe.

Message 4 of 10
network-wonk
Guide

The Advanced Wireless settings page does not have an explicit channel with setting, but does have a checkbox labeled 'Enable 20/40 MHz co-existence'. The checkbox is enabled. This is the default.

-- NW

Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

If you set it to just 20hz, does it enable the lower channels? 

the EU region could be different in the channels enabled with using 20/40hz. 

Message 6 of 10
network-wonk
Guide

As I said there isn't an explicit option to control the channel width 😞

Message 7 of 10
plemans
Guru

I don't have that device to test with or I'd try myself. (plus ours get region locked) Just makes me curious if its a EU thing with the 20/40hz wide option since it works fine when set to the NA region. 

If you set your 2.4ghz speeds for "up to 145mbps" it should drop it to 20hz wide. The up to 300mbps is the 40hz wide. 

Message 8 of 10
network-wonk
Guide

Thanks !. That's the solution. I hadn't realised that the speed setting would have that effect.

I've cut the speed down to 145 mbps, and now I get a full list of channels !

-- NW

Message 9 of 10
plemans
Guru

Glad it worked for you!

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements