× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

WAC124

JamesD7000
Tutor

WAC124

Hi,

From my current Netgear D7000, have the objective to install a WAC124 (wired with Cat6 cable) in my garage/workshop as an Access Point in order to enjoy Wifi over there ...

My question is the following :

Will the WAC124 extend all the SSID available in my houses (the main SSID and the dedicated ARLO for security cameras) or will I only get the basic network ?

Thanks in advance for your help

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: WAC124

No, the Arlo wireless can't be extended.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@JamesD7000,

Based from your post, it seemed that you will use the WAC124 as a standalone AP.  About extending the wireless signal (you referred it as SSID), since you will deploy the WAC124 in your garage/workshop, be reminded that the operating distance or range of your WiFi connection can vary significantly depending on the physical placement of your access point. For example, the thickness and number of walls the WiFi signal passes through can limit the range.  As reference, kindly read page 268 of the WAC124 user manual here

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team 

Message 2 of 7
schumaku
Guru

No, the Arlo wireless can't be extended.

Message 3 of 7
JamesD7000
Tutor

Hi,

Many Thanks for your clear and precise answer ...!!!

Message 4 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@JamesD7000 re-iterating the answer ref. Arlo a litle bit: Newer Arlo devices can be operated on an Arlo Hub or SmartHub as you are used to, but now these can be asociated to the "normal" WiFi network, too.

Message 5 of 7
JamesD7000
Tutor

@schumaku 

Many thanks for your extremely clear answer ...

Could a second separate wifi network, with a dedicated Access Point, only for my garage, be a solution ?

Thanks  a lot for your insight

Message 6 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@JamesD7000 wrote:

Could a second separate wifi network, with a dedicated Access Point, only for my garage, be a solution ?

This is what would happen anyway. - because of all these standlone routers like the D7000 (xDSL to add more complexity) are not supporting any Mesh-like functionality (technically subsets of IEEE 802.11k/802.11r/802.11v). If adding any kind of an access point, it will be a standalone WiFi even if you are going to deploy the same wireless name (SSID) and security key (wireless password). You will never get seamless hand-over in both directions, clients will remain sticky, and they will remain connected to that very same radio until the signal will become very poor - or oyu are going to manually change or temporary disable and re-enable the WiFi on your e.g. mobile or computer again.

If you want more, you would have to change the D7000 (because Netgear does not offer a bridge mode AFAIK) to a xDSL modem (e.g. a DM200) plus some Mesh or the like capable router plus satellites, or a standalone non-WiFi router and two (or more if you need to add more coverage through the house - and always use a cable!) wireless access points, e.g. Netgear WAC5xx or WAX6xx, powerded over the network cables using a small PoE+ switch.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements