× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: WAC505: Apple clients (iPhones, Macbook Pros) won't connect with Private Addressing enabled

dpasadis
Tutor

WAC505: Apple clients (iPhones, Macbook Pros) won't connect with Private Addressing enabled

I can't connect Apple devices (iPhones, iPads and Macs) to my WAC505 that have Private Addressing enabled (randomized MAC addresses).  I would like to configure my WAC505 to accept these connections.  As a workaround, I can disable private addressing on iOS devices but I haven't found a way to do it on my Macs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Model: WAC505 Insight Managed Access Point
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: WAC505: Apple clients (iPhones, Macbook Pros) won't connect with Private Addressing enabled

Unless you have configured some MAC security (random MAC os obviously prohibiting this idea), there is nothing related on these WAC. Possibly your router is out of DHCP pool, has MAC security in place, .... and won't accept these devices.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
dpasadis
Tutor

I should add....

The problem only occurs when adding a new device to the network.  Devices added previously connect to the WiFI network just fine.  

Message 2 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Unless you have configured some MAC security (random MAC os obviously prohibiting this idea), there is nothing related on these WAC. Possibly your router is out of DHCP pool, has MAC security in place, .... and won't accept these devices.

Message 3 of 6
dpasadis
Tutor

Thank you for your response.  It's helpful. 

Can I turn on some soft of logging to see why the WAC505 is rejecting a WiFi connection from one specific Macbook Pro?  I know the password is correct.

Message 4 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Monitoring -> Logs  or then the downloaded detailed logs don't unveil anything?

Both the MBP and the WAC505 are operating on curent software/firmware? -> WAC505 Firmware and Software Downloads 

Curious, is this an M1 based MBP? How is the SSID configued securitywise?

Message 5 of 6
dpasadis
Tutor

Thank you very much for your posts.   I forgot that I setup an ACL over a year ago when I setup this device.   When I checked and rechecked the Insight page that allows me to configure an ACL, I kept focusing on the Wireless Settings and Security Settings and skimmed right past MAC ACL because I forgot that I set it up.  Dumb mistake.  

As a consequence, when I tried to add a new device to the WiFi network, it was rejected even though I submitted the right password because it's MAC address wasn't in the ACL.

Your help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks again.

Screen Shot 2021-06-04 at 9.34.22 AM.png 

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements