× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

WAC505 Locks Up And Then Reboots Saying Reason "Normal"

Automan
Apprentice

WAC505 Locks Up And Then Reboots Saying Reason "Normal"

Hi, only had one of these for a few days to test and for the first few days it has been fine.

However, today I noted all the clients attached moaning about the access point missing and when I looked at the device all but the 5Ghz light was on solid with that one off.

Checking the Netgear POE switch powering it was still on the network (I thought perhaps the switch would let me turn off the POE but no option),

The web interface did not work but then I noted its lights were flashing again.

I have not made many changes to the default settings except two extra SSID's

The onscreen log says this

Sun Sep 24 11:42:23 BST 2017 nddmp[2276]: alarm : seqNo-[1], level-[INFO], info-[System UP]

Sun Sep 24 11:42:23 BST 2017 nddmp[2276]: alarm : seqNo-[2], level-[INFO], info-[Reboot reason - Normal]

Sun Sep 24 11:42:23 BST 2017 nddmp[2276]: alarm : seqNo-[3], level-[INFO], info-[Radio 2.4GHz On]

Sun Sep 24 11:42:23 BST 2017 nddmp[2276]: alarm : seqNo-[4], level-[INFO], info-[Radio 5GHz On]

And I have a feeling when it reboots it does not keep the older log, incase it does, I exported the full log.

EDIT: Log file format not acceptable by forum 😞

• The file WAC505-WAC505-24-09-17_11-45-38-logs.tar.gz does not have a valid extension for an attachment and has been removed. jpg,gif,png,pdf are the valid extensions.

It is on the lastest firmware 

Uptime

00 Days 00 Hrs 18 Mins

Firmware

V1.5.3.6

Last Checked

Sun Sep 24 11:42:48 BST 2017

Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Re: WAC505 Locks Up And Then Reboots Saying Reason "Normal"

Hi Ian

Thanks for sharing your feedback on the special firmware that we have shared. Since you have mentioned in PM that you are not seeing the reboot on the speical firmare could you please accept this solution? We are rolloing out official firmware soon with the fix for all the customers.

Feel free to reach us if you have any further questions/clarification

Thanks again

Raghu

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Ian Mitchell

We may need your AP configurations and detailed logs. I will PM you

Thanks

Raghu

Message 2 of 10
Automan
Apprentice

Log files uploaded and it seems I can get it to crash to order copying a 3Gb file locally using 5G wifi so I have uploaded 2 more logs

Even with the Wifi properties indicating a connection speed of 300Mbs on 2.4Ghz and 650Mbs on 5Ghz one never gets a file copy speed from a local server of 11Mbs (hard wired PC can copy it at 110Mbs)

Wifi LAN card is a Intel AC 7260, Windows 10 64 Bit

Message 3 of 10
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Ian,

Thanks for sharing additional details. We will go thru the logs and update you. We need your AP configurations to compare logs that you have shared. Please do so. 

Thanks

Raghu

Message 4 of 10
Automan
Apprentice

Screen dumps posted to the google drive folder, all wireless details were left at factory default

Message 5 of 10
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Thanks. Will take a look at those logs and update you.

Raghu

Message 6 of 10
Automan
Apprentice

Just for anyone else with this WiFi device I have found that when the Dell Laptop with an Intel Dual Band AC 7260 is copying a large file from the internet or a local source and then my Lenova Tablet accesses WiFi e.g. you press the power button, the WAC505 will crash.

Other combinations must also crash it as it also did it at about 03:30AM and I have checked the Laptop and it never woke up during the night.

The Lenova Tablet, also using 5G is a Lenova YT-X703F

Perhaps an issue with the new firmware, I don't recall it doing it before?

Message 7 of 10
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Ian

As I suggested in PM please try connecting to different switch or power adapter connected to WAC505 to rule out PoE related issue.

Thanks

Raghu 

Message 8 of 10
Automan
Apprentice

A week of trying to get this thing to work with no real joy...

Three different power supplies, another firmware update, changing the clients on it, factory reset and still it reboots when it feels like it (nothing logged on device or syslog server at time of most crashes).

It has just done one of its longer crashes which it takes about 30 mins to reboot and during this time normally the first four led's are stuck on and the unit will still respond to a ping plus you can login which is recorded by the syslog server but as you will see the interface is not quite complete).

The more normal crashes reboot in a couple of minutes so unless you look at the device uptime user may not notice it (unless you are copying files).

I guess it just could be a bad unit, chinese manuafacturing quality is not what it used to be...

Message 9 of 10
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Ian

Thanks for sharing your feedback on the special firmware that we have shared. Since you have mentioned in PM that you are not seeing the reboot on the speical firmare could you please accept this solution? We are rolloing out official firmware soon with the fix for all the customers.

Feel free to reach us if you have any further questions/clarification

Thanks again

Raghu

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements