Highlighted
Star

WAC505 disable LED's

hi there

i'm quite curious. on page 108 of the manual of the WAC505 it says it is possible to disable the LED's

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WAC505/WAC505_UM_EN.pdf

unfortunatley, when i log in to my management tool in my browser under the section advanced the only setting i have is enable/disable syslog.

i've checked for new software but i'm on the latest.

any suggestions where to look? the LED's are quite anoying in one room and i need them to be off.

many thanks

WAC505
Model: WAC505|Insight Managed Smart Cloud Wireless Access Point
Message 1 of 21
Highlighted
NETGEAR Expert

Re: WAC505 disable LED's

Hi silvio

Welcome to the Netgear Community.

You can select the LED control on the same page. See the attached screen shot for your reference. Here you can control the LED behaviour.

Thanks

Raghu

Message 2 of 21
Highlighted
NETGEAR Expert

One last thing I would like to mention here -  if your WAC505 is managed by Insight Manager App then LED Control settings will not be there.

You can control LED behaviour only when WAC505 is not managed by Insight Manager

Thanks

Raghu

Message 3 of 21
Highlighted
Star

RaghuHR,

thanks for your reply.

what's the reason it is not possible to manage this by the Insight Manager App?

further, would it be possible to change to standalone, deactivate the LED's and then change back to Insight managed again?

WAC505
Message 4 of 21
Highlighted
NETGEAR Expert

Turning off LED thru Insight Manager is an other enhancement. We will take this into our backlog. No ETA as now.

Tunring off LED in standalone mode and swithing to insight managed will turn ON LEDs. So it will not work.

Thanks

Raghu

Message 5 of 21
Highlighted
Star

okay thanks for your statement. look forward to the new improvments with the upcoming SW release

WAC505
Message 6 of 21
Highlighted
Tutor

Can the led lights be turned off via SSH or telnet even while managed by insight?
Message 7 of 21
Highlighted
Star

the lights can be disabled if the AP is in standalone mode.

it's not supported yet if it's Cloud Managed, but this will be implemented in future according to Netgear.

also have a look 2 posts above and also make sure to follow this thread here -> https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Insight-Management-App/What-feautures-would-i-you-like-to-h...

WAC505
Message 8 of 21
Highlighted
Tutor

Thanks for the reply.

I understand that it currently needs to be in standalone mode.  I was wondering if there was a workaround.  Basically can a command be issued via telnet or ssh to the access point while in cloud managed mode to disable the LED lights?  This would be outside of the GUI / Insight app.

Message 9 of 21
Highlighted
Star

not sure, haven't played yet that far. don't know if SSH is even active and open. don't think so but maybe somebody from Netgear can confirm?

however, my quickfix was: white tape over the LED's -> DONE until the feauture will be implemented in the future

WAC505
Message 10 of 21
Highlighted
Tutor

yeah tape works pretty good.

Trouble is, in a dark room (my bedroom), the whole box lights up so much from the inside that it is still quite annoying when trying to sleep.

Message 11 of 21
Highlighted
Star

oh yeah, see your problem. i saw this on my AP's so i taped almost the whole case Smiley Happy

WAC505
Message 12 of 21
Highlighted
Tutor

Any progress on this with the new release of Insight?  Can we control the LEDs now?  I am still not seeing the option on my phone.

Thanks,

Chad

Message 13 of 21
Highlighted
Star

it's a shame Netgear.

the community is asking and nothing happens.

i've asked this a while ago also the same with Guest WLAN, this was back in November 2017. over a half year passed and there's nothing happening and i don't really see the point of using Netgear any further, neither can i recommend this to customers.

how can a product be released with such no feautures and development be that slow? i mean seriously?

i will part ways with my devices, i believe my goto will be Ubiquiti - i'm sorry guys but this is just not right....

WAC505
Message 14 of 21
Highlighted
Tutor

What is the status on being able to turn the LED lights off when the access point is managed by Insight?  There have been several app updates now and this is not available.  The lights are very annoying in a dark room.

Message 15 of 21
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @dynamiX,

I can confirm the LED feature is work in progress at this time but I don't have an ETA yet on when it will be available.

For your Guest VLAN query, can you please verify exactly what you are looking for?

I ask this as in the current setup you can create an SSID and use it as a Guest WI-FI network, however, you would be need a VLAN capable switch and implemenet VLAN's and VLAN tagging to separate the Guest traffic from the rest of your network.

Are you looking for Guest network without requiring VLAN setup?

Thanks

DavidGo

Message 16 of 21
Highlighted
Star

@Retired_Member

we've been discussing this 1/2 year ago, there was no ETA, still no ETA... nothing to add to this....

regarding the Guest SSID

i've been active here https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Insight-Management-App/What-feautures-would-i-you-like-to-have-for-the-App/m-p/1439626#M63 and let's be honest, for SMB customers and potentially bigger customers there should not be a need to create VLAN's and such.

check out your competition, most of the competitor provide a 2-3 click solution, no need to have Network understanding.

the product is no finished, neither stable for business and daily usage.

however i haven't seen much improvment from Netgear in the past and if so, then small steps and in very long cycles.

WAC505
Message 17 of 21
Highlighted
Guru

Thank you for making it happen - kind of at least. 8-)

Virtually hours later, we're finished working over all individual APs of all our customers networks. Each AP. Individually

Have we missed a global (e.g. by configured Network, where we also configure WLAN SSIDs and so on for the complete network) control to disable all LED resp. disable LED keep the Power LED?

Yes, we understand this can be done by AP. And (very few) Insight admins might want to have selected APs with all activity LED, others on just the Power LED, and other AP all off. But we're convinced the majority of users is looking for a consistent setting on all the managed WLAN AP by network. With an option to temporarily enable the LEDs on a selected AP for troubleshooting, say for some hours, or until the next reboot.

@skazi and @RaghuHR please re-design and enhance. Thank you!

PS. I agree on the much to slow update and enhancement cycles.

Message 18 of 21
Highlighted
NETGEAR Expert

Thanks for the feedback. Please note that Insight will be supporting LED management for the WAC access points in an upcoming release.
Message 19 of 21
Highlighted
Guru

@skazi wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. Please note that Insight will be supporting LED management for the WAC access points in an upcoming release.

Yep - it's out in the wild already for about a day - my comments apply to both the released and updated App as well as the Insight Web. 

Message 20 of 21
Highlighted
Guru

@skazi - the ability to control the LED also from the Network/Location setting magically appeared on the App as well as on the Web portal. Thank you!

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements