× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: WAC505 turn off 2.4 radio

Ppummill
Apprentice

WAC505 turn off 2.4 radio

Hi,

I have three WAC505s currently managed by Insight.  It's a crowded network enviroment and the building IT admin has asked that I disable the 2.4 GHz radio and only use the 5 GHz radio.

I can not find the "turn off 2.4" button within the insight web app.  It exists on the devices' web GUI, but due to Insight management, that control is greyed out.  Please tell me that this is possible from within Insight, and it's just hidden within the app somewhere.

thank you 

-patrick

Model: WAC505 Insight Managed Access Point
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

@Ppummill wrote:

.If one only applies the 5GHz band to an SSID, then the WAC505's 2.4 radio is not turned on, correct?

As I've clearly stated before, rephrasing a little bit: There will be no beacon for the SSIDs on the air on the 2.4 GHz band. Wireless clients won't be able to see and connect to it, no VLAN data will be broadcast or multicast anymore. 

@schumaku wrote:

There won't be any SSID announced/broacasted, therefore no way to associate anything. If the "last one" will shut off the light (read physically power-off the radio) ... I doubt. The opposite would be hard to proof. WiFI differs from AM or FM transmission where we have fully powered carriers on air without any modulation of the transmitter isn't shutdown.

Reminds me to a newspaper report from some decades ago where locals residing near to the big Swiss AM station told the press that the life is much better now where the transmitter was disabled. Fact is that at that time the AM carrier was still on air emitting at full power - there was just no modulation, no audible signal to hear on the radio anymore.

But again - WiFi does not have any constant on carrier - it's a pure digital system. I'm convinced the radio module is powered and functional, it just keeps silence.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

On Insight Web [don't know for the App this minute] (Wireless -> Settings -> [SSID] -> [Edit]) you can choose by SSID which band it should be applied to - both, only 2.4GHz, or only 5GHz. That's network-wide control.

Message 2 of 5
Ppummill
Apprentice

Thank you for the swift reply,

one clarification...

If one only applies the 5GHz band to an SSID, then the WAC505's 2.4 radio is not turned on, correct?

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

There won't be any SSID announced/broacasted, therefore no way to associate anything. If the "last one" will shut off the light (read physically power-off the radio) ... I doubt. The opposite would be hard to proof. WiFI differs from AM or FM transmission where we have fully powered carriers on air without any modulation of the transmitter isn't shutdown. @RaghuHR ?

Message 4 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@Ppummill wrote:

.If one only applies the 5GHz band to an SSID, then the WAC505's 2.4 radio is not turned on, correct?

As I've clearly stated before, rephrasing a little bit: There will be no beacon for the SSIDs on the air on the 2.4 GHz band. Wireless clients won't be able to see and connect to it, no VLAN data will be broadcast or multicast anymore. 

@schumaku wrote:

There won't be any SSID announced/broacasted, therefore no way to associate anything. If the "last one" will shut off the light (read physically power-off the radio) ... I doubt. The opposite would be hard to proof. WiFI differs from AM or FM transmission where we have fully powered carriers on air without any modulation of the transmitter isn't shutdown.

Reminds me to a newspaper report from some decades ago where locals residing near to the big Swiss AM station told the press that the life is much better now where the transmitter was disabled. Fact is that at that time the AM carrier was still on air emitting at full power - there was just no modulation, no audible signal to hear on the radio anymore.

But again - WiFi does not have any constant on carrier - it's a pure digital system. I'm convinced the radio module is powered and functional, it just keeps silence.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements