× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: WAC510 Android Devices can not connect, error Wrong wifi password

Pir8radio
Tutor

WAC510 Android Devices can not connect, error Wrong wifi password

I beleive this is a firmware issue similar to this cisco issue: https://quickview.cloudapps.cisco.com/quickview/bug/CSCuu59338

I keep getting an error on my Android TV and tablets saying that I am using the wrong wifi password, which is not true. These same devices will connect if I change the network from WPA2 to OPEN, tried using the default password (sharedsecret) just incase mine was too complex, same issue. 

On a side note I had to disable RRM the AP's all kept rebooting at random times.   This is pretty crazy for a "business" product to have so many issues.

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Pir8radio
Tutor

Thanks for all of your help, This was resolved with some suggested changes.  I look forward to these changes making it to the next firmware release.   

I want to say, At the company I work for I have made equipment purchases worth millions, and this was by far one of the better support cases that I have had, especially considering this was for a few thousand dollars of AP's. Not to mention this help was on a forum, which most vendors do not monitor, but thats where us geeky types like to go first. 

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi James

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community. 

Can you please share your Android device details? model and version would help more. 

Did you tried any other security mode to connect? Please use the packet capture feature to capture packet and share with us. 

Also download the detailed logs from monitoring page and send us.

We have fixed RRM bug and firmware will be available mid of this month (tentative).

Thanks

Raghu

Message 2 of 10
Pir8radio
Tutor

That is great news about RRM, thanks for sharing. 

This is happening on a few devices, but Im going to focus on a single device since the issue is the same.   The test device is one of these: http://www.mi.com/en/mibox/   It runs the latest Android TV OS. Here is the detailed log and packet capture from two attempts to connect. 

MAC Address: 00:9e:c8:b3:e2:8d

Message 3 of 10
Pir8radio
Tutor

Please post when you have downloaded this files so I can remove them from the public HTTP server.

Message 4 of 10
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Thanks. I've downloaded both. Will take a look at these with my team and will reach you early next week. I hope you'll share additional details if we need any.

Good day

Raghu

Message 5 of 10
Pir8radio
Tutor

Thank you, it's good to see intelligent employees that are actually involved in the product development, monitoring the forums.  That really says something about the company, and definitely reinforces my comfort with NetGear. 

I look forward to your findings, and hopefully a solution!

Message 6 of 10
Pir8radio
Tutor

I have also found none of my HP Printers are connecting to the wifi network, with the same error "invalid password" which is not true, I re-entered it to be sure. 

Message 7 of 10
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Thanks for further updates. It is really helpful to nail down. We are checking this issue. Will update once we have clear findings.

Regards

Raghu

Message 8 of 10
Pir8radio
Tutor

Thanks for all of your help, This was resolved with some suggested changes.  I look forward to these changes making it to the next firmware release.   

I want to say, At the company I work for I have made equipment purchases worth millions, and this was by far one of the better support cases that I have had, especially considering this was for a few thousand dollars of AP's. Not to mention this help was on a forum, which most vendors do not monitor, but thats where us geeky types like to go first. 

Message 9 of 10
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

For the benifit of everyone on this forum and our valuable customer who are seeing similar issues. Here is what happened on this case.

Samsung mobile or some devices which is running with Android 6.0 sends Association request with PMF (Protected Management Frame) enabled. WAC510AP also supports PMF. So if client/AP sends disassociation/De authentication, it should be encrypted. But client(Samsung phone or such devices supports PMF)  sends disassociation as a plain text immediately after EAPOL, we are discarding this disassociation frame because its not encrypted and therefore we didn't delete the node from WAC510 node table which is an expected behaviour. But wireless client keeps on repeating the same process.  So issue is with such wireless clients which supports PMF.

Workaround: Disable PMF through CLI. 

If anyone seeing the same issue then you need to disable PMF from CLI. Please reach us for the exact CLI command to disable PMF.

In the next maintenance we are coming up with option of enable/disable  PMF feature from the AP UI itself so the job will be much easier.

Thanks

Raghu

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements