× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: WAC510 - Cannot login after latest firmware update (8.2.1.16)

DC-TX
Tutor

WAC510 - Cannot login after latest firmware update (8.2.1.16)

Hello, I updated 3 WAC510 AP's to the latest firmware (8.2.1.16), and now I cannot log into any of them via web browser, says "username or password is invalid". I tried the password that had just worked when I did the update, and the factory default, no luck.  The AP's are still functioning, I just cannot login to them.  Any ideas besides factory reset?  Thanks!

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
DC-TX
Tutor

Via private message I was given the following info by  RaghuHR:

Login to the AP via SSH with "Admin" as username with old non-complex password.

Syntax: ssh admin@<AP's IP address>
Example: ssh admin@192.168.102.120 with the old password.

After login, change password with "password" command.

Syntax: password <New complex password> (upper case, lower case, special character, number)

Now login via AP's UI with the new password.

This worked like a charm!  As long as SSH has not been disabled on the AP.  All this can be avoided by changing password to a complex password before the firmware upgrade.  Thanks to  RaghuHR for this solution!

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @DC-TX 

Welcome to the Netgear Community. Are you using Insight App to manage toyu WAC510? If yes please check the password that you have configured there. 

Thanks,

Raghu

Message 2 of 5
DC-TX
Tutor

Thanks for the reply.  No I am not using the insight app, just using web browser to connect to indivdual AP's.

Message 3 of 5
DC-TX
Tutor

I have one other that I did not upgrade, I can still login to it just fine.  I wish I had just tried to upgrade one at a time instead of all 3, lesson learned.  But I have done lots of firmware upgrades since I bought the AP's 2 years ago, with no issues.  So I got lazy.

Message 4 of 5
DC-TX
Tutor

Via private message I was given the following info by  RaghuHR:

Login to the AP via SSH with "Admin" as username with old non-complex password.

Syntax: ssh admin@<AP's IP address>
Example: ssh admin@192.168.102.120 with the old password.

After login, change password with "password" command.

Syntax: password <New complex password> (upper case, lower case, special character, number)

Now login via AP's UI with the new password.

This worked like a charm!  As long as SSH has not been disabled on the AP.  All this can be avoided by changing password to a complex password before the firmware upgrade.  Thanks to  RaghuHR for this solution!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements