× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

WAC510 Installing multiple units

murphyto
Aspirant

WAC510 Installing multiple units

I am planning to purchase three WAC510 APs to cover the entire home with the same SSID. I have read this post (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Business-Wireless/WAC510-Installing-multiple-units/m-p/1307498#M361...) but I have still some queries below.

1. If I connect the three WAC510 with a PoE switch, should I config each of them as standalone AP. the client wireless devices will choose the stongest signal from one of the three APs (for some areas which may be covered by all three APs).

2. which is the best configuration of the three WAC510 APs to achieve the fastest wifi speed?

a. as what #1 describe, connect all WAC510 with a PoE switch.

b. as what the above post decribe, set the first AP as the base station and set the rest as repeater.

It seems to be me that Method a) will achieve a faster wifi speed as each AP works individually while Method b) relies on the connection between the base station and the repeater.

Model: WAC510|Insight Managed Smart Cloud Wireless Access Point
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: WAC510 Installing multiple units

With an access point deployment on wired Ethernet you can forget everything what is documented as WiFi Bridge, Repeater, Base Station. You configure the same network name (SSID) on all access points, configure dedicated channels (1/6/11 or 1/7/13 on 2.4 GHz - these are all overlapping kind of, and random free unused channels on the 5 GHz radios). Most of the access point selection is done by the wireless client station, there are just a few things the access points can assist - so enable 802.11K (RRM) and Band Steering, too. 

If you have a very dense area where multiple access points are covering the same or similar space, you can consider to enable the load balancing feature, too.

Worth mentioning, the Insight configuration and management can be used without an Insight switch. Some features like radio optimisation might not be available on the free Insight App mode.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Of course, for performance and reliability connect the wireless access point like the WAC510 (you might consider the WAC505 for pure AP usage instead, lower price, available in packs of three and five) to a wired network, for simplicity of the installation using GbE PoE switch ports.

The most easy approach is by using the Insight management for the WAC505/510 - you should consider to invest in the matching Insight Smart Cloud Managed GCxxx[P,PP] switch(es) PoE/PoE+ and power budget to be future proof.

Message 2 of 4
murphyto
Aspirant

Hi schumaku

many thanks for your reply. I still have some queries.

1. If I connect the three WAC510s with a single unmanaged PoE switch by LAN cables and same SSID will be used for all of the WAC510. Do I need to define them as "base station" and "repeater"? Or all of them should be "base station"? For some areas which the wifi signal may be covered by more than one WAC510, can the wireless device automatically switch to connect to the AP with the strongest signal at a particular location.

2. I agree that it will be the simplest way to install multiple WAC510 with an insight managed smart cloud switch (like GC5510P / PP).

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

With an access point deployment on wired Ethernet you can forget everything what is documented as WiFi Bridge, Repeater, Base Station. You configure the same network name (SSID) on all access points, configure dedicated channels (1/6/11 or 1/7/13 on 2.4 GHz - these are all overlapping kind of, and random free unused channels on the 5 GHz radios). Most of the access point selection is done by the wireless client station, there are just a few things the access points can assist - so enable 802.11K (RRM) and Band Steering, too. 

If you have a very dense area where multiple access points are covering the same or similar space, you can consider to enable the load balancing feature, too.

Worth mentioning, the Insight configuration and management can be used without an Insight switch. Some features like radio optimisation might not be available on the free Insight App mode.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements