× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

WAC510 Reset Issue

1Columbus
Aspirant

WAC510 Reset Issue

Hi All,

I have a WAC510 access point I'm trying to login into to change settings. I can access the login page through a web browser using the IP address. Unfortunately, nobody at my company knows the password and the default password doesn't work. I created an user account throught the Insight app, setup a network location and tried adding this particular device to the location. However, I get an error that says: "(Device Name) Cannot be Added. (Device name) was previously added to a different account. To add the device to your account, reset the device to factory default, change its management mode to Insight , and add the device to Insight."

So it seems that all I would need to do is reset the router even though I don't have access to the online account that is currently managing the access point.

Problem is, page 196 of the WAC510 user guide seems to say if an access point is managed through the app or the cloud portal, it must be removed from the online account before the hard reset button on the router will work. 

I'm assuming I'm understanding the manual correctly. If I am correct, is there anyway other way to reset the access point without removing it from the online account that it is managed by?

I would have already gone ahead and hit the reset button but I don't want to mess up our WiFi if I don't know how to get it back up and running. I don't have a backup access point at the moment.

Thanks,

Model: WAC510 Insight Managed Access Point
Message 1 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: WAC510 Reset Issue

There is no way to break into the WAC5xx or WAX6xx retaining the existing local config, regardless if the device was added before to a different Insight account or not.

How complex is your wireless config and finally the network where the AP is connected to?

Multiple SSIDs, VLANS, probably 802.1x authentication with RADIUS?

If you can figure out the account (email) the AP was registered to, including the Insight account, and if this email is a busines acount of a fomer employee, you could be able to regain access to the e-mail and the Netgear account. 

If this is a business, and the AP belongs to your organisation, you might have a chance to gain the information on the e-mail account the device was registered initially wit the help of Netgear. 

Message 2 of 3
1Columbus
Aspirant

Re: WAC510 Reset Issue

I will try to figure out the email address the AP's were registered with. That seem like the best (maybe only) option.

The configuration on the AP is actually pretty simple. Its just serves as an extender for a single SSID wireless network.

Model: WAC510 Insight Managed Access Point
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements